Prologue

WARNING: SWEARING

"Oh, my fucking God, you're so cynical!"

You frowned and looked around the corner of your small LA apartment. Odd, you thought that you and your roommate, Jon, were the only people in the home. I guess I was wrong, you thought to yourself as you awkwardly disentangled your finger from a lock of your (Y/H/C) hair. More yelling sounded from the living room, getting louder and more offensive with each stab of an insult. Suddenly a woman with bright ginger hair tied up in a bun slammed into you, her face streaked with tears and mascara marks.

"This is why your mom hates you!!!" She screamed over her shoulder, shoving on a coat as if she was wrestling with a particularly irritating pillowcase. You put your hand over your mouth absentmindedly. Jon had recently had a massive fight with his family, along the lines that they were furious with him for going out and acting and putting himself out there without consulting them first. Jon had just said that he was a grown man now, and that he knew what he was doing, and had appeared on your doorstep with a backpack full of clothes and crying. You two had been roommates ever since. Coming back to the present, the realization of what had just happened rolled over you like an oncoming storm.

Creeping into the living room, your (E/C) eyes were met with a very sad icy blue pair. There were tears in his eyes, and his hands were tangled in his hair. "I can't believe it. I fucked it up. I fucked it up..." He whispered in a cracked, defeated voice. It was almost as if he didn't know what had just happened.

Tentatively, you padded over to him and sat down next to your best friend. "Do you wanna talk about it, Jonny?" You whispered, taking care to not upset him.

He turned his head to face you and wiped away a tear hastily. "Oh, hi, (Y/N). Did you hear what happened?" He asked, looking away.

"Only a few insults. Why were you even fighting? I always hear you talking about how incredible Sophie is." You replied softly.

"Well, I told Soph about the fight I had with my parents. Finally."

"C'mon, Jon, that happened almost two years ago! What in the world were you going to accomplish by hiding something like that?" You cut him off, slightly exasperated.

"W-well, I just thought....that she might lose respect for me or something...I-I don't know. All I know is that I epically fucked up...and I just want her to come back..." With that the boy you had pushed away in the high school cafeteria buried his face in his hands and slowly dissolved into sobs.

You just watched him, your heart aching with sadness. You tried to get involved with him that one day in the courtyard as Freshman because you liked him. You came to every single drama play he was in, even if he was playing a bush, because you liked him. You covered his ass when he was almost caught smoking as a Senior because you liked him. By the time you were in college, you knew that your feelings for him ran far deeper than just friendship. Of course! We're best friends! That's why I care so much! You had thought, further pushing your feelings into a cupboard and locking it. You pulled yourself out of your reverie. Never mind that, you thought to yourself. However utterly confusing this is right now, Jon still needs help. And I'll provide that. You wrapped your arms around Jon and leaned your head on his shoulder, pulling him close just as you had done after he graduated high school. Just as you had when he had appeared on your doorstep that one night. He sighed and leaned into you. For you two, hugging was normal. There was no romanticism surrounding hugs in both of your point of views. They were comfort, and that was that. 

A/N: HOOORAY THE PROLOGUE IS DONE! Let me know what you think- I'm curious! :) Also: Gimme five comments on this chapter, and I'll make the next chapter!

Acronym Key:

(Y/N): Your name

(Y/H/C): Your hair color

(E/C): Your eye color