Special I: Forget Me Not

Start from the beginning

A gentle tug at your vest caught your attention as you filled a bowl. "Hm?" You looked down at the pair of siblings that stood no higher than your waist. One of them waved for you to come down. You knelt to their level. "What's wrong, my loves?" You asked. The other leaned in to whisper in your ear. "Mommy forgot to put out a bowl, she's still sleeping." They explained. "Oh! That's alright. Will you show me where to go?" They nodded. "I'll follow, alright?" You stood straight, lighting the candle in the home you stood by. "Let's go." You held out a hand and they both took hold. 

You jogged lightly behind them to keep up and they showed you to their residence. Not too far from the town center for you, but for the two of them, it must have been a long journey in the darkness of dawn. One unlatched the front door, sliding inside, while the other stood behind, their little hand still latched to yours while you waited for the first to return, They soon did, bowl in hands. "Alright." You took the bowl from their hands. "Take these." You handed them each a bun and sent them inside. "I don't want you to get in trouble." You filled the bowl, your eyes straining to watch them eat then climb into bed next to their mother. The bowl was filled and set on the windowsill, you lit the candle and faded out of sight.

After a third trip, and all bowls filled, you stood at the town's center at the well. The old thing wasn't well, well, for sake of the pun. Dry and aging, you sighed as you stood over the decrepit thing. The patchwork on it never lasted. "Alight, here we go."

With both hands stretched out over its opening, you summoned what little knowledge you had of your powers. You could hear it festering all those feet below. Bubbling like a cauldron, you called the water forth, pulling it from the earth it hid in. The ground beneath you breathed. 

Inhaling deeply as the well creaked and stretched. Then exhaling, dipping down, concaving the land it sat on. Water rose when the surface lied flat once more. Seeping between the cracks in the bricks, a puddle formed at your feet. You pulled back your hands, rubbing at your temples. Doing that always brought on some pain, but it wasn't anything you couldn't handle. With your morning routine finished, and the sun peeking beyond the hills, you went back home.

"How'd everything go, princess? Is everyone alright?" The baker asked, handing you a bun. You nodded taking it. "Everyone is alright."

When you first started your early runs, the kitchen staff had first attempted to go for you. You refused, grabbing what you could and leaping out the window. Mortified, but relieved to see that you were alive, they let you do as you wished. When they tried to feed you before you left, you refused, unsure of what length you'd go to prove your resolve, they didn't press the matter.

You entered your chambers and one of your handmaids already awaited you. Her head down as you entered. "What's wrong?" You asked, the little ringing of a bell caught you by surprise. "It's your mother, princess. She's been ringing all morning." You turned to your writing desk, the winded bronze that was adhered to the wall held your bell, that rang once more. Underneath, was a candle that never went out. A puff of smoke spewing from the top to make the tiny bell toll. You walked over and pinched at the flame, pulling, a folded piece of parchment came out. You opened it and read over the letter, snorting.

Come eat breakfast with me? Do I have to ask? Is that where we are now? I have to send a letter to ask my only child to come eat with me? Anyway, I asked for oatmeal and sugared fruit this morning. I love you...come eat.

You laughed, setting the letter on the surface of your desk. "You're down the hall, just come get me." You muttered and rolled your eyes. "I've already made your bath, princess."

"Oh, thank you." You turned over your shoulder, her head was still down. "Lift your head, love. No one's in trouble." She gave a sigh of relief, her shoulders dropping. "Are you new? I've never seen your face before." You said while taking off your boots. "Yes, princess."