Spare Time: Your Time

--sorry for the delay, y'all. i'm back though. thanks for all these views and votes. much love 💖💖--

7/11 or Lawson? You pulled a tiny yen from your pocket and went for the reliable coin toss. Heads for 7/11, tails for Lawson. You peaked. "7/11 it is." It was just lunch, not that serious, but the two chains hold their own unique brands that you favored.

Well. You checked your phone as you walked in. It's been dry. Ever since you gave in to your mother's demands, not to mention the courtesy texts:

Answer that damn phone. I love you 😙

You'd been checking it religiously.

What ramen today?  You browsed the cup noodle aisle, at least a hundred options in front of you, a shopping basket swinging in your folded elbow. This? You picked up a bowl. Super spicy just looking at the packaging...maybe not today. You set it back down. Now that looks better. An off white bowl caught your attention. Reading over the top quickly, you tossed it in your basket. Tonkatsu sounded pretty good for the moment, you moved over to the hot food pulling two random buns and a fish cake to toss in your bowl.

Itadakimasu. You took a seat at a table in the corner after paying and preparing your lunch. Damn that's good. You taste tested the broth. Just as you went to slurp on your ramen, your ringtone played in your ears. Pick up the phone she says.... You tapped your earbud, answering cautiously. "Hello?" No reply. Is butt dialing still a thing? Did he ass dial me? "....Hello?"

"What made you pick up this time?" You hadn't heard that tone before. That was new.

"It's the fifth business day and I was starting to worry. " You quickly muted your mic to scarf down a mountain of ramen. All you heard from his side was a hum of disapproval and more silence. You unmuted your mic. "....I'm sorry-"

"You didn't do anything."

"Exactly that, yes.  And for what happened to you...and I'm sorry you found out, that I found out, the way I did." You sniffed and pulled apart one of the meat buns. "I um..." you shook your head and chewed on a piece quietly. "Did I ever tell you about my mom?"

"No."

So brusque. "Well, she's like Sir Nighteye, but cooler." You began. "All you have to do is ask her something. She sees the unseen, multiple possibilities, all that jazz. Sound spooky yet?"

"I'll have to agree, she does seem cooler."

You laughed nervously. "So I'm sitting on the couch, admittedly watching you call me. I didn't pick up because I didn't know what to say. I see you call again, and I'm like 'fuck it, I'll answer', but you hung up as soon as I touched my phone. I could feel something festering...and then my mom calls! Puts the video chat on me and scolds me for not answering. 

'Baby, I don't know who's calling you, but you need to pick up'." You mimicked her voice as best you could, accent and all. Might gave what sounded like it could have been a halfhearted attempt at a snort. 

"I haven't told her I know you. That's a conversation I'm not looking forward to because of certain happenstances. So when she said she didn't know!" You flung your head back. "Relief, Might! I was relieved! For the past few days she's been messaging me. 'Pick up that damn phone. I love you'." You mimicked again. 

"To answer your question. I answered first, because I'm sorry I wasn't there the first time and because I miss you. Second, so she doesn't chew my ear off." You ate another piece of bun, your phone vibrated on the table. "There she is now."

"She's fast." Might replied. "She was probably just having a conversation and I was mentioned." You read over the text. "What'd she say?"

"Good job following instructions. Tell whomever better days are on their horizon." You read aloud. 

"I like her."

"She's off the market." You refused to miss a beat. "Damn." He chuckled. "It's good to hear you laugh, big guy."

"Is it?"

"Mhm." You muted again to dig into your food. The whole thing becoming taxing just to not fill his ears with the sound of you chewing.

"So your quirk must be one of two things."

A quick swallow and unmute on your part. "You read my whole resume and you're still on the quirk thing?" You laughed.

"Oh? You'd rather talk about your time teaching?"

"Nope, continue."

"Hm, either you've got some variation of your mother's or the name Siren holds weight."

"Koji named me Siren because he heard me singing...and said I was a siren." You answered. "And I'm not clairvoyant, I wish I was." You giggled. "Would've seen that layoff a mile away."

Might hummed again in place of words, it was harder to decipher that time around. "Are you working this evening?"

"I am, I'll be at the bar tonight." You sat in silence for a while. "Might-"

"I... Something came up." Sounds like a lie, but okay. "Can I call you later?"

"I'll pick up. I promise."