Friend Like Me

"You know how to wait tables and all that hot stuff, right?" Cherry asked, you stood across from her on the stage. "Of course she does." Neither of you heard Koji enter the room, watching as he approached. "What the hell am I training her on then?" Cherry shot at him. "I dunno?" He smirked. "Looked like she needed a friend."

"Well thanks for volunteering my services." She rolled her eyes. "I think you're pretty cool." You started, one hand taking hold of your arm in a poor attempt to hold yourself. "I actually could use a friend right now...but only if you're willing." Damn, when did you start back in grade school? This is embarrassing. "We're already friends, what are you on about?" Cherry playfully pushed at your shoulder, your chest felt like it was about to explode. "Really?" You couldn't hide the stupid grin on your face. "Uh, yeah."

"I hate to ruin the moment, ladies, but why are you on the stage?" Koji interrupted. "Not sure." Cherry shrugged. "I just followed her up here." You shook your head. "Well, could you come down?" Your boss motioned you to him. "I'd like to talk about pay and scheduling."

"Oh! Yeah." You turned for the steps, heading down to him immediately. "Take a seat." He pointed at one of several empty tables. "I'm nosy!" Cherry leapt from the stage and plopped down next to you. "Cherry..." Koji shot her a look as he sat. "What? I'm her negotiator...and she doesn't want any shifts that I'm not here for." She sat back, crossing her arms and legs. It's official, I like you. Koji sighed and turned his gaze to you. "Is that what you want?" You nodded. "I'd enjoy that very much."

After a lengthy conversation, that was more you witnessing Cherry and Koji go back and forth, you were settled with Cherry's first and third shifts. Which would sometimes be third flowing into first depending on the day and operation times. It worked with the times you were with Han for the most part, you'd just have to explain you found more employment and needed a little tweaking. A little tweaking and a lot of understanding, Koji's giving me 300 more yen an hour. That included the dollar fifty your mom quoted you too. I'll have to call her later to let her know.

Koji made his leave, on his way to continue pen pushing. "I could show you a few things I think." Cherry pushed up from the table. "It's easy stuff I promise." She extended her hand out to you. "Damn, I was looking forward to a challenge." You said taking hold. "No shit? Let's see how fast you learn then." What was that you saw flicker in her eyes before she tugged you along? Dammit, what was this unusual burst of happiness swelling in your chest as she went over the tables' numbering? You couldn't deny you needed the joy right now, and damn did it feel good to have another body in your corner.

Up and down the stairs you went as she explained basics and even showed you the "secret" dumbwaiter. "Don't put food in here, we take rides in this."

"Whaaaat?" You peeked into the tiny elevator. Tiny wasn't really the word. "It's so roomy."

"Yup!" Your new friend threw her leg up to get in. "Come on." She waved for you to join. "Uh?" You tilted your head in uncertainty. "Trust me, it can handle the weight of two people." She laughed. "Just wait until you meet Tauros!" You got in, situating yourself across from her and pulled your knees into your chest. "Going up." With a quick slap, Cherry hit the button on the outside wall, a little light turning on above your heads as the waiter began to bring you to the second floor.

"This is pretty neat." You let your fingertips drag along the drywall until it came to a stop on the far end of the second floor. "Of course it is." Cherry replied as you swung your legs out, hopping down. "Come on." She led you around the bulk of the seating, pointing to a set of double doors. "You couldn't see from where we were standing with Bon, but that's an elevator to bring food and drinks up here."

"Cool." You nodded. "You don't have to use it if the stairs are going to be faster though. It's up to you." She motioned for you to follow her down. "I trust you to make that decision, you look like you'll prefer the stairs." The air filled with the patter of your feet against the metal steps as you descended. "Maybe." You counted each one on the way to the main floor. "Hey, can you hold stuff in those bubbles?" Your conversation was taken back to the bar. "Mhm."

"Like what?" Cherry continued. "Just about anything, I'd say." You answered, her eyes cut to the wall of liquor and back to you. "Interesting. We could probably do some cool stuff then." It's lit. You grinned. Having gone through that common, short phase of wanting to learn to bartend, it was an idea that tickled your fancy at the moment. "Do you have comfortable shoes?"

"Of course I do." You gave a thumbs up. "Good. You'll be on your feet a majority of your shift. What about shorts?"

"Shorts?" You raised an eyebrow, she leaned against the bar. "Yeah, that's like the closest you'll get to dress code here. Koji wants the girls in shorts." Cherry poked at your pants covered thigh. "What is this, a Hooters?" You laughed. "What's a Hooters?" Your counterpart questioned, arms crossed. "Hmm. It's a sports bar where I'm from. Waitresses wear really short shorts and tight, low cut shirts." You explained. "Oh. I think I've heard of that place. " She nodded in understanding. "You don't have to worry about that. No short shorts, wear what you're comfortable in and whatever shirt."

"Whatever?" You leaned in. "Yeah, that part doesn't matter much." Oh shit...that means I could wear my fandom things in here. What should I put on first? Maybe drago-

"Earth to new girl?" A hand waved in front of your face. "My bad, I didn't realize I spaced out." You gave a sheepish smile. "No, shit. Let's exchange numbers? We won't have to be here until this evening, but maybe you'll think of a question between now and then." She pulled out her phone. "That works for me." You did the same, navigating to your contacts when one under "Recently Added" caught your eye. Shit. Maybe later. "Here." She swapped phones with you, adding herself to your library as you took a selfie for your contact photo. "Really?" Her eyes caught yours as you made one of the silliest faces you could muster. "Yup."

"Well, we'll match then." She returned the favor, earning an ugly chuckle from you. "I'll see you tonight." She handed your device back. "Definitely." You nodded as she took her phone from your hand. "Call me if you need anything. Okay?" You nodded in agreement. "Okay."