| 13 | if Gabriella says euphoric one more time, Henry may never sleep again

Start from the beginning

I bought two warm hot chocolates from the cafe at Garden Grove, and I enter an empty library except for the young librarian who seemed to be in her late 20's. Skimming the room, I spot Gabriella sitting at the corner of an eight-seat table. She gathers her long, brunette hair into a ponytail only to lug the hair-tie down a few seconds later as if she were contemplating which hairstyle framed her face perfectly.

One look at her and the image of her unexpectedly at my house invades my mind. I dithered with the idea of letting her stay to hear her apology or to kick her out. The hesitation didn't last long, though, because seconds later, I was ordering Buckley to have her wait for me in the garden.

I stood there, watching her caress the flowers that my grandmother planted decades ago and have now sprouted, overtaking half of our property.

Above the patio arbor lining, the led lights kissed her brown, tanned skin, highlighting her cheekbones and a superficial scar on her forehead that you couldn't see without the light. I've always known Gabriella to be pretty, but at that moment she was beautiful. She hadn't yet apologized, but it was like I already knew it wouldn't take long for me to forgive her, and I didn't know why. Noone's ever crept under my skin like her.

"Hey," I capture her attention.

She throws her hair behind her shoulders as the corners of her red-tinted lips lift, "Hi."

Her stare averts from me to the two drinks in my hands.

"You brought drinks?"

"Uh, yeah," I set them on the table and settle for a seat across from her. I slide her drink towards her. "I didn't know what you liked, and I probably should've texted you to ask, but-"

She softly grins, seeming touched at the sentiment. Her slim fingers curl around the cup, and she brings it the brim of her lips.

She peers up at me through her long lashes, "You can never go wrong with hot chocolate. I didn't have time to grab something to eat besides an expired granola bar. Thanks," she smiles from ear to ear.

That smile of hers is going to get me in trouble. I know it― especially with Adam.

You barely even know her, Henry.

But she must be something if Adam's interested, and I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't want to find out.

"So, we should get started," she draws me away from my thoughts. "I looked at your grades-"

I chuckle, "Am I in line to be valedictorian?"

"No, I am," she deadpans, but a small grin follows suit.

I smirk, leaning forward with crossed arms on the table, "I don't doubt that."

She unsubtly clears her throat, looking away. I hide my satisfied smile, knowing I can make her stumble a little, which, up until this point, I've failed miserably.

She seizes our 11th-grade math textbook from her backpack, "You have more trouble with math, which lucky for you, I'm good at, and there's a test coming up for Ms. Potters, so we should start there."

"Whatever you say."

-

"So, you have these four numbers given to you, and this formula," Gabriella leans forward, pointing at the textbook with the tip of her pen.

Her hair smells like vanilla.

"What you're going to do is plug in all the information you have following the formula. Do that first."