Chapter 7: Sticks and Stones

Start from the beginning

"Prefect, remember? I'm doing my rounds right now. Come on. I'll walk you back to your dorms, so you don't get in trouble."

Harry grinned, and the two boys headed back to the Gryffindor tower, where they bid each other goodnight, Harry slipping into the common room afterwards. It was empty, which was good. He didn't need anymore crap from Hermione and Ron.

Thankfully, the dormitory was quiet, and everyone was asleep when Harry snuck in. He was able to throw on his pjs and slip into his bed, without anyone stirring. He was asleep in moments, with no nightmares to plague him.

•••

The next morning found Harry walking down to the Great Hall alone. Ron had not said a word to him that morning, which was unusual. Probably from Harry's reaction the day before. But Harry didn't care. The redhead never really stayed mad for long. He'd be back by lunchtime.

Oh, how Harry hated being wrong.

Lunch had just finished, and a quiet lunch it had been, for Harry at least. Ron had steadfastly ignored him, instead speaking solely with Hermione, or his sister, or to another Gryffindor. But not Harry. Hermione had shot a few sorrowful, if a bit disapproving glances at Harry, but she hadn't tried to speak with Harry either, instead leaving Harry to eat a quiet lunch.

It was afterwards that Harry wished he'd been right, just this once.

He was walking down the hallways, when he heard Ron's voice call out behind him. "Harry."

He turned, to see his redhead friend coming towards him, a stony expression upon his face. "Yes, Ron?" Harry asked hesitantly. Ron paused in front of Harry, his arms at his sides. The boy was still for a moment, his chest heaving with an emotion Harry couldn't place...

Oh. It was anger.

Harry grasped his jaw, where Ron had slugged him. Hard. "What the bloody hell was that for?" Harry shouted. Ron's face was now drawn up in anger.

"You are so selfish! All Hermione and I try to do is be understanding friends! But do you ever thank us? No! How do you repay us? With harsh words and nothing more than a passing glance!"

Harry eyed Ron with disbelief. "I'm the selfish one?" he asked, hurt. Ron seemed to feel as though Harry was mocking him, because he got close up, in-your-face kind of close.

"And not once have you come and apologized. You made Hermione cry yesterday, because of you and your stupid mouth! Get off your high horse, Harry. Just because you're the bloody Golden Boy doesn't give you an excuse to go insulting and mocking your friends!"

Once again, Harry's vision was filled with stars, and he was knocked back into the wall. "What is your problem?" he shouted in rage. There was no way Ron was this upset over one incident! But Ron wasn't explaining himself. No, he was rearing back for another punch. This time, Harry dodged, and Ron's fist connected with the wall. There was a crunch, and Ron howled in pain.

Harry had been hoping this would bring the other to his senses, but it was futile. The redhead did an impressive job impersonating an erupting volcano, as he roared out his pain and fury. With that, he began to throw punches at Harry, attempting to land as many blows as possible. Harry managed to dodge most of them, and return a few of his own.

It wasn't long before the two boys were rolling around on the floor, wands completely forgotten in the chaos of kicks, hooks, and jabs. By now, a crowd had started to gather, as Ron began to get the upper hand, pummeling Harry into a corner.

Dazed, Harry began to lose focus, and he imagined for a moment that it was his uncle, beating him up once more, and he began to whimper. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'll be a good boy...I promise," he whimpered, curling up into a ball, his head protected by his arms.