Chapter 19: Renewed Hope

A/N: So, all the bold words are Parseltongue, 'kay? :) Refavoment! Oh, and if you have time, go check out my other story, 30 Ways to Piss of the Harry Potter Cast. I've entered it in the Watty Awards, and I'd appreciate every vote, read, and comment. :) Ciao!

~ + ~

Draco was glad to finally be out of the hospital wing. Madame Pomfrey had kept him there for nearly one more week. Still, it hadn’t been too bad. Hermione and Pansy had taken great care to make sure all of his homework was delivered after each class, which he was inwardly grateful for, and Blaise, Goyle, Harry, and even Ron had visited at one point or another, many times in Harry’s case. But the time that Ron visited him stuck out in his mind the most…

•••

Draco looked up from his Potions homework as Madame Pomfrey interrupted him. “You have a visitor, Mr. Malfoy,” she said briskly, before waving in someone unseen and then turning on her heel to head to her office.

Draco blinked in surprise, to see Ronald Weasley standing in front of him, alone. “What inspired this?” he asked in a confused tone, feeling wariness creep up in him.

Ron, who looked equally as uncomfortable, pulled up a chair. “I…um…that is…I…”

“Spit it out, Weasley.”

The familiar tone prompted Ron to speak up, and his voice became stronger. “I came to talk to you about Harry.”

Draco was instantly alert. “What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

“No, he’s fine…I wanted to talk about…well, you know…the whole soulmate thing…” Ron looked like he’d rather be anywhere but in the hospital wing, talking to Draco. The Slytherin nodded in understanding, as Ron continued speaking.

“Hermione and Harry seem to have accepted the whole thing, of course,” Ron said slowly. “But I have my doubts…”

“You wouldn’t be a good friend if you didn’t,” Draco acknowledged. Ron gave him a long look, and sighed.

“I’m starting to believe it…but you have to admit, this whole thing seems rather funny. Not too long ago, you came back and treated Harry like you did before…worse, actually. Then suddenly, the next day, you were back to normal. We all thought you were playing Harry, well, Hermione and I did anyways…”

Draco’s eyes were guilty and pain-filled, as he nodded. “I can’t explain the circumstances that led me to act like that,” he said quietly. “But I can understand what it must have looked like…and I swear, I did what I could…I did it to protect Harry…”

Ron shrugged. “I guess I still had my doubts, no matter how much I wanted to trust Harry’s judgement.”

“How about now?” Draco’s eyes were curious, as he looked at the redhead.

“I…trust you. But not completely. I just…I wanted to let you know…if you and Harry are soulmates…then I won’t get in your way. I won’t object. But if you hurt him…I swear, I’ll kill you.” Ron was matter-of-fact as he said that, and Draco nodded solemnly.

“I wouldn’t hurt him…and I understand. I’ll show you that you can trust me.” They shared a long look, then Ron cleared his throat.

“Well…um…I guess I’ll be going then…”

“Wait…when’s the next Hogsmeade trip?” Draco stopped Ron before he left. The other turned around with a quizzical glance.

“Well, they had been cancelled for a few weeks…but I think there’s one next weekend. Why?”