Chapter 32- Braelynn

"Wait- they took down all these places?" Braelynn demanded, scrolling through her mental list of favorite elvin shops. "Slurps n' Burps, Gorgodon's Haven, Claws Wings Horns And Things.."

"Foxfire?" Oralia added.

Kinsely nodded, pulling her Neverseen hood down further. "All gone. All the stores are closed, Foxfire has turned into... well, they call it Everblaze now. And it's not the Universe and Alchemy and all those old classes, it's studying the history of Neverseen members and dark objects."

Braelynn's head was spinning too fast for her to keep track of it. "Wait- where are my parents in this alternate universe?"

"Working for the Princess, obviously," Kinsely whispered, as a patrolling Neverseen member gave them a suspicious glance. "That's what everyone does these days. Either that, or they're on the run."

Oralia sent her an expression that was too mixed for her to read.

"Is there anyway we can meet the Princ- I mean my sister?" Oralia asked.

Kinsely hesitated, seeming to have a mental battle with herself. "I.. I guess I could find a way to sneak you all in... and quick question: how good are you guys at mimicking?"

______________

"See, and just a few weeks ago, I was making fun of Arella for being a Polyglot," Oralia grumbled, after what seemed to be the fiftieth time trying to mimick.

"It's not that hard," Kinsely promised, her voice deepening a few octaves. "Just try to adjust your vocal chords a bit."

Braelynn sighed- again. At this rate, they were sure to take the entire day.

"We'll do the talking," Braelynn offered impatiently, elbowing her. She turned to Kinsely. "And you're positivie you can get us in there? Even though you told us you were one of the most wanted rebels in the Lost Cities?"

A layer of panic appeared on her face, but it washed away just as quickly. "Positive. Just make sure your hoods are pulled down all the way- and don't make a sound unless you're sure it won't sound like a thirteen year old's."

They hurried up to the front steps of what used to be Tribunal Hall, located in the very heart of Eternelia- but now it looked like it was wrapped in a layer of grey clay and robbed of all the sparkly finery.

"Found these two losers sneaking into the city," Kinsely reported, dragging Braelynn and Oralia up the stairs. "Must be some Black Swan loners still on the run.

"Verification?" one of the Neverseen members guarding the door asked.

Kinsely rummaged around her cloak pocket, and for a full seven seconds, nothing happened.

Braelynn held her breath.

Now! Oralia transmitted, so loudly it almost made her yelp.

Braelynn pulled away right as Kinsely whipped out a Medler from her cloak and blasted the two Neverseen guards away from the door.

Oralia yanked the key out of one of the Neverseen's hand and fiddled with the metal until the doors creaked open.

"That worked... better than I thought," Braelynn whispered, slipping through the door as inconspicuously as possible. She gave one last glance at the two unconscious guards, before gently closing the door again.

And her first thought was how dark the castle was- dimly lit hallways, flickering orange candles, and creaky floorboards that reminded her of some haunted house in the Forbidden Cities.

"On three... we split," Oralia suggested.

"No," Kinsely said abruptly.

Which would've made sense- since the plan wasn't exactly genius -but her response had come just a moment too early.

"What?" Braelynn demanded.

"Er.. how about we go together?" Kinsely offered quickly. Even in the darkness, Braelynn could see the panic lining her features...

Silence. The sound of water dropping onto the floor in the background made Braelynn nervous.

"There's something you're not telling us," Oralia warned, backing away from her slowly. She caught Braelynn's arm and led her away too.

"Don't read my mind," Kinsely snapped.

"Do it," Braelynn whispered. 

More silence. Kinsely glanced from Oralia, back to her. And again. And again.

"Do it!" Braelynn repeated when Oralia still refused to move.

The Telepath nodded and closed her eyes, right as Kinsely lunged for her-

"She's a spy!" Oralia screamed, and Braelynn watched her eyes snap open- but it was too late.

They were surrounded by flames.