Chapter 28- Arella

Arella hadn't realized how much she'd been fantasizing this moment until it happened.

Their lips touched and her hands found their way into his- and Arella honestly could've stayed there forever, but then-

"Hey! Adryan, what are you-?!" a voice came shouting through the darkness.

They broke apart so quickly that Arella tripped over her heels and landed with her butt in a pile of mushy mud as Joselyn came racing towards them.

And for a second all three of them were silent. Arella was staring at Jocelyn, who was glaring at Adryan, who was watching...

Her. His cobalt blue eyes were staring straight at her and that made the flutters set off again....

"Adryan. Would you like to tell me why I walk out to find the girl missing, I tromp through the forest for an hour to find you and her kissing?" Jocelyn demanded through gritted teeth.

"Um... I..." Adryan looked speechless- and probably not in the good way.

"I knew you couldn't be trusted with girls your age," Jocelyn growled, snatching his wrist. "We'll deal with the girl later. You, Mr.-" she shot her brother yet another death glare "-are going to be so busted when Dad finds out. It'll actually be rather memorable."

Adryan opened his mouth to say something and then closed it.

"And you too. Get over here." 

Arella scrambled to her feet, trying to wipe the dirt off of the back of her pants as she hurried to catch up with the already-bickering siblings.

____________

".... and honestly. I mean, you were so new. And your Pyrokinesis was coming along nicely as well. And yet, you waste it on her? The moonlarks daughter?" Adryan's father was scolding.

Arella forced herself to keep quiet. She wanted more than anything to lash out and defend Adryan, but she figured that would be hard from where she sat chained- to Jocelyn no less.

The Charger was probably scarier than her Uncle Fitz's hair- which was saying a lot.

He shook his head disapprovingly. "Honestly. I expected better of you!'

Adryan wouldn't meet anyone's eyes- not even hers, despite the fact that it was clear she was trying to get his attention.

His dad crouched down to be the same height as his son. "Are you regretful?"

Adryan's head popped up so fast that Arella could hear his neck crack. "What?"

"I said," he repeated. "Do you regret your decisions?"

Arella could see the hesitance in his eyes- but when they stumbled into hers, she shook her head ever so slightly.

"Yes," Adryan whispered.

His father smiled and stood up again. "Brilliant."

"Can I go now?" Adryan asked after a long silence.

"I think not. I learned long ago that regret does not make a difference. You disobeyed me. Therefore, you serve consequences."

Arella didn't know what made her do it. 

"It was my fault!" she blurted out abruptly.

Adryan's eyes widened, but Arella wouldn't let herself meet them.

"Your fault?"

Arella nodded vigorously. "Yes. My fault. I kissed him, and he tried to pull away, but I did it anyways."

"Arell, I-"

"And then Jocelyn caught us- me!" Arella practically shouted.

There was no sound for another forty six seconds- Arella counted -until he spoke again.

"Very well. Will you take full responsibility for the friendly little correspondences you two have been having? Some of which I'm sure he's spilled facts in which he is prohibited to share?"

Adryan opened his mouth to protest but she forced her telekinesis to keep his mouth shut.

"Yes."

More agonizingly slow seconds ticked by.

"Well," Jocelyn cut in, breaking the ice. "As we always like to say: The unwillings are trouble. And trouble deserves punishment."