•Logan...

n o t e •

This part of the story-- and other subsequent chapters-- are not to be considered in the #LastSummer2020 contest.
They are meant purely for the enjoyment of readers and are posted in line with the author's preferences.

I wipe off the make-up on my face and take off my earrings. Logan's reflection appears in the mirror as he steps into the bathroom. He tugs on his necktie around his neck and pulls it over his head with a relieved sigh.

Spinning around, I beckon to him with my index finger curling towards me. He complies.

"You know what?" I murmur when my fingers grip his broad shoulders.

Logan cocks his head to the side and in the deep, sultry voice he has, questions "What?"

My hands travel up his neck, nails trailing lightly over his jaw. "I think," I start, lifting my head. I find his eyes transfixed on my face with what seems like awe and wonder. My hands gradually reach the back of his head and he shudders slightly when I flick his earlobe with my fingernail.

My hands get to his hair. "I think you look..." I pause when he hums, a guttural sound erupting from the back of his throat. Slowly, I grip a tuft of his hair and my hand eventually dives under his soft locks. His eyes fall shut briefly, and when they reopen, they're liquid fire coated with swirls of brown. " ...so much better with your hair like this."

Smiling with an air of triumph, I move my hands around in his hair until every strand has felt my fingers. Until his hair looks like he had been caught in a tornado. I do it so fast he only has time to react when I'm barreling towards the living room.

Logan is fast and he catches up to me before I can lock any of the doors. In a moment, we're both on the floor and he's pinning me down with his body. I'm laughing so hard my ribs hurt and my sides ache.

"Logan... I-- I need to get-- I need to get something off my back," I manage to say through the laughter.

"Is it your dress?"

Cue my slow blink. I look up at him with shock, wondering how in blazes he can ask me that with a straight face.

"No! Well, yes but... that's not what I meant. Now get off of me so I can explain."

Logan stands and then helps me up. He shifts my hair away from my neck and pulls down the zipper on my dress while I speak.

"My parents had this mental picture of you before tonight and I think you exceeded their expectations."

"Which is good, right?"

"It's great." And hopefully, it would stay that way. I turn around and scoop up the dress which lays limp at my feet. "By the way, do you want something to eat?"

"It's not even been an hour since we last ate..." Logan deadpans.

"The anxiety I was feeling when my dad started asking about our future plans used up all the food in my stomach. So do you want something or no?"

Logan says no. So I make just enough food for myself and down it all in record time before I brush my teeth. After slipping into my pajamas, I saunter into the living room where Logan is finishing up some sort of documents on his laptop.

I take the laptop and gently place it on the armrest. He remains quiet when I place my head in his lap and line the rest of my body on the couch. Ideally, Logan turns his attention to the device and he doesn't acknowledge my presence.

I'm satisfied as I gaze long and hard at his striking features. He looks up from his laptop's screen at me for a second and asks what I'm doing.

"I'm studying your face so I can send our baby telepathic signals on what you look like," I say in a whisper.

He lifts his head and looks at my belly which is bloated so much that it causes my top to lift a little. His right hand slips under the thin pink fabric of my pajama top and pats my belly while his left hand pecks at his keyboard.

"Who is it this time, Evie?"

"Mackenzie," I reply before I raise my head so I can assess my belly. "I can't tell whether this one's a boy or a girl but I do know it's a mac and cheese baby."

Logan's tousled hair falls over his face as he shakes his head, but I see the small smile that lights up his face while he does so. It brightens his features much more than the illumination from the laptop does.

Logan is open to the idea of us having kids, just not at this particular point in time. He has work. I have work. Besides, we're both too young to have young of our own. But that doesn't stop me from making baby jokes and it doesn't stop Logan from snorting at the ones I use to get him to do me a favour. Matteo never laughed at them. He didn't want children-- for reasons I never got to know.

My eyes clamp shut as I yawn, my body stretching taut in the sofa.

Logan is tapping away at the keyboard when he asks in a husky voice, "Bed?"

"Nuh-uh, this is way more comfortable."

I fall asleep with my head cradled in Logan's lap while his hand occasionally rubs soothing circles on the skin of my belly-- bloated with Mackenzie.

~~

Surprise! Bet you didn't think there'd be more, yeah?

So I've thought it through and through and I realized Evie's story didn't get finished so we're gonna see more of her and Logan and the all time boy-who-appears-in-dreams Matteo!

Vote and comment your thoughts. I love reading them! ♡♡