∞CHAPTER FOURTEEN∞

I open my eyes to see that I'm still on the floor of the cylinder. My head is throbbing and I can barely breathe. The sides of the cylinder have been turned to mirrors, so I see myself from all directions as I stumble to stand up. The pain is excruciating, it feels like someone threw me through a wood chipper. My head hurts worst of all. I try to find the door and thankfully this time it is unlocked.
I take a step forward and tumble to the ground outside of it. I guess my legs are still too weak. I look around the room at the other cylinders. Most are open with their occupants already gone, but some are still closed. I look to my left and see Carrie's cylinder. It's closed. I stumble over to it and pull open the door. Her limp body lies against the sides. My head is starting to clear and I'm gaining better control of my limbs, so I try to pull her out. She looks dead, and she's so cold. I start to cry but continue pulling her out. She's not very heavy, but still it takes me quite a while to pull my unconscious best friend out of her cylinder. I notice her shallow breath come out in short, quick gasps. Should I try to wake her up?

"Carrie?" I speak for the first time since I woke up. My throat hurts as I push the words out.
Her eyelids flicker open for a second, but then close again.

"Hey, hey Carrie I know you don't like being woke up but it's kind of important now okay? You're scaring me," I whisper.

I quiet moan escapes her lips as her tries opening her eyes again.

"Good! Good job Carrie!"

"Ohhh I feel like someone ran over me with a bulldozer," she gasps.

I laugh slightly and slowly help her to her feet.

"Attention! Everyone head to announcement room 2! If you're not there within 10 minutes guards will come for you!" A voice says through the speakers.

"Let's go," Carrie says quietly, already heading towards the door. I follow silently.

Everyone in the announcement room is shaky and pale, hardly anyone speaks. I wait for ten minutes, and the guards bring in only one person. I instantly realize that there are only 274 people here. How in the world do I know that?! Why do I remember the faces of everyone who is not here?! Why aren't they here? CeCe walks onstage and the silent room erupts into screams, demands, and questions. I notice others are asking where the 103 missing people went. They know too, How? How could I look at a room and know exactly who and how many are missing?

"To answer one of your questions, those 103 people are gone, they didn't pass. Also, the gas had a malfunction, it wasn't supposed to be so painful. We're still trying to figure out what happened. Don't worry, it will not be like that next time," CeCe says,

"Next time?!" Someone screams.

"Yes, if you're not okay with that.. You can leave us. Follow the guards out the left side door if you want, but if you do, you don't get a second chance. You'll be leaving us forever."

That was a horrible experience, but do I want to go? No. I can't go, I won't. I'm sure no one else will? But I'm wrong. 61 people follow the guards out. Now we're only 213.

Alex takes CeCe's place onstage. "Hello, Chosen," He grins.

"Oh he's creepy," Carrie shudders from beside me.

"Couldn't agree more."

"You might be noticing that you're remembering things, noticing things, paying more attention to things," Alex continues. "That was the gas. 103 of you are gone because the gas didn't work with their memories, or their brain. You're now, basically, supercomputers! Oh, and you might have a headache for a few days," he smiles. At least I think it was a smile. It looks more like a 'I'm so happy you're about to die' kind of smile. I have a feeling Alex could easily be a serial killer if he wanted to. Which I'm sure he does...

"What if we fail the next test?" Someone speaks up from near the stage.

"Then we can't use you, and you'll be deactivated," Alex says coldly.

Deactivated.. Right.. Because that doesn't sound scary at all.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Heyy guys! Okay so first of all sorry it took me so long to update! 2 weeks is too long!! I was super busy with school so please forgive me? :3
How was this chapter? I love hearing what you think, so please comment if you want!
~Annie
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥