∞CHAPTER THIRTY THREE∞

I stand against a wall, quietly watching Jack do his lie detector thing.

"What do you think about the war?" Jack casually asks another person, the fourth he's walked up to so far.

"I'm excited! Time to use our powers for something!"

Jack nods and walks away to the next one. After a few seconds he walks away from them as well.

"Nothing?" I frown.

"Nothing at all," He looks discouraged. "There's got to be someone who's not going to do it! Right?"

"There's already ten of us. That's quite a bit," I try to sound reassuring.

"And eighteen of them. Eighteen super soldiers plus a whole army against nine teenagers who have no survival skills whatsoever. Great odds there," He says sarcastically.

"Maybe so, but you know, we're super soldiers too."

"I guess," Jack sighs. "I'll go ask the rest of them..."

"Good," I smile. "There must be some more! If you're not done by the time I'm finished lunch I'll come tag along."

"Sure," He replies.

*****************

"What's your opinion on the war and stuff?" I ask a girl cheerily. She's the second last one left. No one else is on our side so far.

"It's um... Exciting," She says absentmindedly.

"That's a lie!" Jack exclaims.

"What? It's the truth!" She panics.

"That's a lie too! You don't agree with killing innocent people, do you?"

"I-I– No... I don't," She looks defeated.

"Good," I whisper.

"What?"

"Neither do we, and many others," Jack answers for me.

"Tonight at ten, come to this room number if you want," I turn my phone around to show the number of the empty room that Nate and I found earlier today. We looked, and it has no cameras or any other types of surveillance.

She stares at me for a long time, playing with her long, very curly hair. "I'll be there... I guess."

"Okay," I nod, as Jack moves onto the very last person to ask. I talk with the girl, a Fifteen named Cara, about us not agreeing with the scientists and trying to find others like us.

"So what are we then?" She asks quietly. "Rebels? Super heros? Criminals?"

I pause before answering, "People doing the right thing?" I look up at Jack, who shakes his head after talking to the last kid. Who would've guessed that so many people just don't care about the injustices that this plan clearly entails.

****************

"So what do we do then?"

I look around the small, dim room at all the solemn faces, all seemed to be turned to me for answer.

"What?" I say in surprise. "I'm not much help to you all."

"I have an idea," Anna says after a long pause. "What if we just ask them what'll happen."

"Just ask them? Are you insane?" Cara scoffs, fear evident in her dark brown eyes.

"No, i'm brilliant. We act dumb, asking what would happen to someone not wanting to go along with their plan. If they tell the truth, great. Then we go from there. If they lie and say nothing will happen, Jack will know."