∞CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR∞

"Our life is doomed, our life is dead. Doomed, dead! Doomed! Dead!" Cara dances about the room wildly.

"Are you really quoting 'Gnomeo and Juliet' right now?" Anna asks in an irate tone.

"Coping mechanism?"

"Shut up!" Jason breaks through the conversation. "Plans, people. What do we do now?"

"We die."

"Shut up."

"We surprise attack!"

"Surprise attack who?!"

"We wait until they ask us to fight and say 'no' and see what happens."

"Really? What if we–"

Ideas are frantically thrown around, as if coming up with one fast is more important than coming up with an actually good idea.

"What if we warn people?" Erik whispers, and i'm sure the only reason I heard him is because he's sitting right beside me.

"The other countries? The rest of our country?" I ask him, curious about what he's thinking. It's hard to tell with him. He's definitely the most mysterious of us all.

"The other countries most importantly." He pauses and looks back at everyone else. They're not quite fighting about ideas, but they're very animatedly –to say the least– discussing them. "After that we could tell people here too. If we do that first though, i'd think we'd have a greater chance of being caught?"

"That's true," I smile and nod. "Guys!"

Everyone looks over at me, looking kind of annoyed that I interrupted.

"Erik has an idea that I think might work, you guys should listen to it. Tell them, buddy."

"Me?" Erik says, looking from me to Anna.

"What's your idea?" Anna smiles down at him, and he sits up straighter in his seat. "Okay, so..."

******************

"How are we going to warn them? Our phones can't even call our families, and we're in the same country as them! Plus, even if they did work, we don't know the numbers of anyone in other countries, do we?"

"I have a great aunt in Jamaica," Cara offers. "We'd still need different phones."

"I was in the United States visiting my friend recently, so that's two countries," Jen says quietly.

Oh right, she had literally just gotten back from her trip when we were chosen. I wonder if she regrets coming back early for it. I still haven't decided if I regret being chosen. I don't think so in the long run, but there are times when I do feel that way.

"So we've got two options that I can think of," Nate leans against the wall causally, as if trying to save the world from your psychotic government is just an everyday thing. "We look for a phone in here that'll work to call out of the country, or at least the facility, or we get out of here."

"Get out of here? And go where? The bullet train here took a few days! How can we get far enough away on foot?" Shaun crosses his arms are stares Nate down. "Plus, I don't think it'll be safe for everyone to do that."

"I think everyone here is perfectly capable, who are you suggesting isn't?"

"I didn't say that, what I meant was... Ugh, nevermind."

"We'll do both ideas," Jack says looking annoyed. "Half of us look for ways out, half of us look for a phone and possibly a phone book? If they would have one here."