∞CHAPTER TWELVE∞

Tomorrow we will find out who's staying and who's going. The stress right now is insane. You can tell people aren't sleeping well and that they're all nervous. Even Clair, when I ran into her, seemed nervous. Her mockery was minimal. One good thing about this is that there hasn't been fights all week. I thought with all the stress there would be more, but no, everyone has been trying their best to get along. So, there is still 377 of us. For now...

Right now it's 1am, and I just woke up from another nightmare. I think it's the stress, because I've had them all week. Dreams about being sent away but not home, to a horrible, dark place with screams and faceless people. It's irrational I know, but still, every night the dreams return. They feel so real. It's terrifying! The worst part is that we're supposed to be getting more sleep to help our brains, not less. In the back of my mind, I just know that I'll be eliminated. For now, instead of stressing, I decide to go see if there are any muffins left in the cafeteria.

The room is dark, with only a bit of moonlight shining in through the glass ceiling. I grab a cranberry-orange muffin and turn to go back to my room when I hear a noise behind me.

"Who's there?" I demand.

Familiar laughter fills the room. "It's just me Aria, calm down."

"Nate," I sigh.

"I scared you," he laughs

"No, you didn't. I'm not scared of anything."

"Sure you're not."

"It's true!"

"Okay, whatever you say, scaredy cat," he steps out into the sliver of moonlight and I see his teasing grin.

"What're you doing up so late?" I ask

"I could ask you the same thing. We're all supposed to be in our rooms from 12am to 6am. But like you I'm hungry, and I can't sleep. You either I suppose?"

"Yeah. I um, I have nightmares."

"Yeah? About what?"

"Being sent away," I reply honestly. Then, seeing how silly that might sound, I quickly say,"Or monsters."

Wow. Like that sounded less dumb. Nice going there Aria, you sound so smart. Real smooth.

He laughs a little. "Well, I can protect you from your 'monsters,'" He does air quotes with his hands when he says monsters.

"I don't know, the monsters are pretty big," I tease, happy he understood I was joking.

"Pff please! They'd all be scared of me. Anyway, come with me."

"Okay," I follow him out and down the hall to one of the movie rooms.

"I can't sleep, you have the completely irrational fear of monsters, so let's stay up and watch a movie," He sits down on a sofa.

I plop myself down beside him. "What movie?"

"Something exciting."

"Like?"

"A superhero movie."

"Sounds good," I laugh.

After a while of arguing which superhero is better, we finally settle on one that I haven't watched yet. When the movie is over, we put another one on, even though we're both too tired now to watch it. Only fifteen minutes into it I close my eyes and put my head on Nate's shoulder. I plan to only rest for a minute before heading back to my room, but I soon drift away into a peaceful sleep.

💥💥💥💥💥💥

Okay so what do you guys think, do Nate and Aria like each other? 😏 Comment what you think! 😊
Thanks to @Starry_night_galaxy and @dontdisturbthewriter for being so amazingly awesome and voting for all the chapters I have written so far! Y'all are so sweet and I love all your nice comments!
Adios Amigos!
~Annie