chapter thirty nine

Draco's pov

"Draco!" Tracey yelled, banging on our dorm room door as I lay awake in bed with my eyes wide open unable to sleep. "Draco!" She continued.

I furrowed my eyebrows before quickly making my way to the door and opening it.

"What's wrong?" I asked, concerned.

"It's Amelia – I don't know what's wrong." She sighed, signaling me to follow her into the common room. I followed her down the stairs to see an extremely distraught looking Amelia sat on the sofa covered in tears and her eyes wide like a deer in head lights.

"I've got it from here." I mumbled to Tracey, feeling slightly uncomfortable at her presence and I definitely didn't want to be affectionate in front of her. When she started walking up the stairs, I rushed towards Amelia and wrapped my arms around her, letting her sob in to my chest.

"I'm sorry, I knew this would happen – I tried so hard to- "She began, but I quickly cut her off.

"It's not your fault, Amelia." I comforted her, kissing her forehead. "It's not your fault."

We stayed like this for a few moments as her breathing eased down and her sobs softened.

"I'm going to go talk to Snape and see if I can get my old dorm back." I told her, removing her from my arms. "I won't be long."

I stood to my feet and kissed her forehead one last time, trying my hardest to give her a reassuring smile. I left the common room and began making my way to Snape's office. It was only around midnight and so I didn't doubt that Snape was still awake, he was like almost like a vampire.

His office wasn't far from the common room, so it only took me a few minutes to get there. I lightly tapped on the door and awaited his response.

"Come in." Snape sneered, sounding disappointed to be disturbed at this hour. "What can I help you with, Mr. Malfoy."

"I need the spare prefect dorm. For the rest of the year." I stated as Snape stood to his feet, still in his dark robes.

"And what would the reason for this be?" Snape almost spat, which shocked me slightly as he was usually very lenient towards me.

"Amelia has nightmares-" I began in a small voice, feeling slightly embarrassed as Snape scoffed at the statement. "But not just any nightmares their- "

"Pathetic." Snape grumbled cutting me off, glaring down at me. "You think I would allow this? She will already be a distraction to your task- "

"It will be even more of a distraction if I have to deal with this every night, Professor." I cut him off through gritted teeth. There was a small moment of silence as we both stared each other down.

"Fine." Snape finally gave in. "I will allow you the prefect dorm however I expect to see you working tirelessly to get this task done." He took a few steps towards me, attempting to intimidate me. "You mustn't fail him, Draco."

My breath hitched in the back of my throat and I quickly turned to exit his office. I began finding it hard to breathe and I could feel sweat forming on my forehead. I had been trying everything to get the task Voldemort had given me out of my mind, but it seemed to haunt me every waking second.

I reached the entrance to the Slytherin common room but paced outside for a few moments, trying my hardest to calm myself down as I didn't want Amelia to realize how tense I was.

I felt an immense pressure as Voldemort had picked me of all death eaters to carry out this task, and if I did, he would release my father from Azkaban. There was an ongoing battle in my mind on if I even wanted my father back, I had no idea how he was going to treat Amelia. However, I knew if I didn't carry out the task, he would not only kill me but my mother and Amelia too.

I brought my hands up to my face and tried my hardest not to scream out in anger. I ran my hand through my hair and took one final deep breath before entering the common room.

Immediately upon seeing Amelia my whole body softened and my heart ached. I would do anything to keep her safe, and the guilt that constantly weighed down on my heart for bringing her in to all of this grew stronger every day.

"He agreed." I stifled a small smile as she looked up at me with wide eyes. She sighed heavily, clearly now more relaxed.

We made our way up to the dorm and began settling into the familiar room. We were both clearly tired, so we didn't wait long before making ourselves comfortable in bed. Her head lay on my chest as I ran my fingers through her hair, and she traced small patterns with her fingertips on my bare chest.

"I'm sorry about tonight, I know you've already been stressed out." Amelia mumbled quietly.

"It's not your fault, I should have just asked Snape earlier." I responded, kissing the top of her head. "You make me less stressed, if anything."

"I just want you to be open with me instead of keeping everything to yourself."

"I'd prefer not to bring you in to things." I responded truthfully.

"Well it's too late." Amelia sighed, looking up at me. "I'm already involved, and you need to let me help you."