The Scent Of Blood

Start from the beginning

"It would be my pleasure...." He went to take a step forward and I put my hands up in surrender.

"no no, um. Brute can smell me... Brute guy can smell me." I said.

"My name... Is. Brutus." His voice was tough, and he sounded mad at the name I'd called him.. great, perfect Citrine, way to piss off the guy who's going to smell you... I cringed at the thought. The sound of the doors opening and Brutus stepping in pulled me from my thoughts and made me jump back a bit. He got so close to me I thought about screaming... but then remembered where I was. No one was around, no one would hear it but these guys and they were definitely not going to take pity on us.

"She smells like..." He started to say. I couldn't see behind him but I assumed the other two were waiting for the right words to set them off into full on kill mode.

"She smells like wood... like hay... and blood. The only Dragon scent on her is Lee's... I'd know that scent of his anywhere.. but it's faded. He hasn't been with them lately." He said. Who the hell was this dude?

"Is that true?" The snarky smug asshat said as Brutus stepped back out of the cell.

"Y... Yes. It's been about a month, maybe a little less since we've seen him." I lied.. I don't know why but, I did.

The asshat looked at Brutus, Brutus shrugged.

"It's possible he was last with then two and half weeks ago, so she might not be lying. The scent is faded enough if they were hiding together in a very small place. It would take a while for his scent to fade like that." He replied. For someone so scary, large, and scary... he was not as stupid as I pinned him for- and that made him all the more scary.

"Alright. Where are your other.... Friends?" The asshat asked.

"I don't know." I replied.

"You're lying... girl." He looked at Lucas who nodded and stepped into the cell, his eyes went from me to Ames, he licked his lips and smirked as he went to take another step toward Ames.

"No!" I yelled and moved between him and her. "I'm being honest. We were told something about a palace but we've never been there, and we don't know where the others are. We got lost... that's... we got lost on our way there." I admitted. The asshat looked pleased. Lucas backed out of the cell, his eyes lingered on Ames.

"That's better. Where is the Oracle?" He asked.

"The what?" I asked in return. He looked me over, his eyes bore into mine again.

"No.. no, you wouldn't know. I need one of the others." He sighed and looked at both men beside him.

"Give them bread." He waved his hand. "And one cup of water. Let them stay here till his Majesty gives us farther instruction." He said as he turned on his heels, Lucas followed after him as he headed down the dark hallway. Brutus looked at the two deep red armored guards.

"You heard him- Bread. Once piece each, and water. One cup. No more, no less." He almost growled the words and soon I could only see his large shoulders being touched by the fire light from the candles in the hall that provided little light.

"We- we're not getting out of here... are we?" Ames looked up at me with tear stained cheeks, her eyes slightly bloodshot. She was holding her side and her legs were shaky. I crouched down in front of her, holding her shoulders.

"You listen to me Ames, we're going to be okay. We're going to get out of this.. we just need to be smart about this, okay?" I tried to assure her we were going to be fine, we'd get out.. but I was having a hard time believing it myself.