burning ropes

Example of a fire-making challenge above ^ 

The fire-making challenge is when two contestants must build a fire on a wooden platform. A small rope is above and if you can get the fire high enough to burn through and snap the rope, then a flag lifts and you've won the challenge. This not only looks good on your resume to the jury but it also gets you into the final three by working for it to the last second. Only downside? If you can't build the fire faster than the other opponent then you go home.

Lee is quiet for the duration of the day, sitting at the edge of the water and not interacting with us. However, it is getting close to tribal and one of us needs to go plead our case first. But no one likes to be first, kind of like handing in a test to the teacher first. You wait till someone else does it. Well, I'm not Aaron Burr in the Broadway musical Hamilton, I am not going to wait for it.

Lee watches the ocean waves crash when I sit beside her with a sigh. She barely glances at me, saying, "Come to plead your case? Surprised it took you all so long."

I ignore her words, and say, "I am not pleading my case the way you think I am."

This catches her attention and she gestures, "Go on."

Licking my lips, I say the most dangerous words - offering to take one of the biggest risks in Survivor...basing your entire game off of fire, a very unpredictable element; "I want to face Barry in the fire-making challenge."

Lee quirks an eyebrow, "Your reasons?"

"I want him out. You want him out. Let me do it." Then I shrug, saying, "And if he gets me out, then I guess it's also what you want. Either way, you win."

Lee considers this. "That means I would pick Hazel to be with me."

"Yes. Her game isn't as impressive as, say, Barry's or mine, which means she's not much of a competition and a great person to sit next to. But of course, you want someone who will challenge you and make you look good in front of the jury. So, let me take out Barry and be that person."

I don't wait for a response, only walking away and back to camp. It's hard to not look back but I keep my head straight forward despite overthinking everything I just said. Pleading your case usually is saying don't put me in the fire challenge, but I just did the opposite. I don't want the easy way into the final three.

Throughout the rest of the day, Hazel and Barry join Lee by the oceanside - talking extensively long. I think over my own proposal, wondering if it was enough. While they talk her ear off, I practice making fire. In the later stages of the game, showing people you're good at making fire can be very dangerous. However, you need to do just that at the beginning of the game to contribute to your tribe so they don't vote you out.

I am skilled in fire-making as it was something I practiced over and over before coming here. I refused to be one of those people who can't make fire even though they knew they were coming to Survivor. The smoke drifts into my face but I keep my eyes on the burning flames as they catch, the ocean breeze providing more oxygen and strength to it. But making a fire in a calm environment is easy. It's when you're in tribal with everyone watching you, racing someone against time, against the height of their flames. That is when mistakes happen.

Before long tribal is upon us and I'm carrying my torch into the shelter. The jury is all freshened up now, as everyone is off extinction island. I see Percy in a nice shirt and pants, all the grim wiped off his face and hair shining but still messy. This obviously sends me into a blushing mess and I pull myself back up. I need to focus.

Jeff allows us all to sit and breathe a moment before starting the first of two very stressful tribal councils. "Lee you won immunity today. How did you feel with all the pressure of now deciding who you'll sit with in the final three?"