after

Photo by Damon Lam on Unsplash 

Here's a clip of what the slingshots look like in the challenge to clear up some confusion: 

I bite my lip so hard I taste blood. Percy takes his place with everyone else. I notice Barry among them, one of the first contestants to be voted out. He stayed and though his body portrays weakness, his eyes radiate determination. Nico, Drew and some others seemed to have pulled the white flag - going to the hotel to attend the juries.

I battle my internal feelings of the situation as we take our spots on the benches to watch. On one end, I want Percy to win for he is my most trusted ally and I look forward to waking up every day to see him. However...he is also my strongest competition aside from Lee. I don't ever want to eliminate him, which means he'd come with me to the final three. Will I even be able to stand a chance against him?

I chide myself for thinking that, for doubting myself. Yes. I have played a good game and do stand a dam good chance. The one I should really be worried about is Lee, who has been the mastermind behind so many plots.

I then think over the possibility of not winning. The whole reason why I came here was not just for the money, but for the valuable lessons and experiences, this game gives you. I know that I will always look back on this being one of the best times in my life, winning or not. In truth, Survivor, ironically, isn't really about winning at all.

"GO!" Jeff yells, and I flinch out of my dazed thoughts.

Sand flies upward into the air as they break off sprinting. The first task is monkey bars. I know what you're thinking: that's not hard. Well, after so many days without food, the sun beating down on you, deprivation of water and numerous physical challenges throughout the weeks definitely weakens you - physically, not mentally.

I watch some people fall halfway, throughout the twenty or so bars they dangle on with tired grips. Percy somehow gets to the end, landing on the other side in a crouched position. As he continues onto the next obstacle - Barry, Piper and Jason following close behind - the other contestants struggle to not fall back onto the seething sand below. I take in their bloody, blistered hands - the red liquid causing them to slip more.

Piper - I silently cheer on - trails Barry near the end. I watch her grunt, her knuckles pure white, sweat dripping from her brow. She does not give up, persisting against pain and exhaustion. I then turn my attention back to Percy who slingshots bean bags against boards various distances away. He misses. He hits. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He hits. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses.

But he tries, again and again.

Jason fires. He hits. He hits. He hits. He hits. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He misses. He hits.

"Jason now onto the puzzle! Will he be able to get back into the game?!!" Jeff comments, his voice scratchy.

I watch the backside of Jason's head as he bolts to the slide-puzzle. Turning back to Percy, I notice Piper and Barry join him.

Barry hits.

Percy hits.

Barry misses.

Piper hits.