Chapter Twenty Eight

Nic

Wraith lifted her gun to Ghost's head. Riptide surged forward in a split second, knocking her and a few others back with a huge wave of water. My heart stopped as Wraith stumbled back, then just...disappeared. She hadn't turned invisible, but somehow I wasn't able to keep track of her through the chaos.

TVAH members grouped together, singling out the Saviors they wanted to take down. I rushed to Ghost's aid, setting one on fire before he got the chance to put her in a chokehold. An agonized scream became clear through the angry shouts, cut off by Riptide throwing another wave of water towards the Savior on fire. It crashed over the guy, sending him flying back into the wall. His head cracked against it so loud that we could all hear it over gunshots and war cries.

Riptide's jaw dropped. He turned over to me just as someone charged towards him, only for another TVAH hero in bright yellow spandex to follow behind and shoot her in the head. The body fell to the floor and so did my mouth, only to quickly close while the vigilante moved on, leaving me to stare at Riptide's blood and brain splattered face.

Ghost gripped his arm and pulled him towards her. Scarlet Cat knocked me out of the way just before someone could tackle me. They fell forward and turned away, changing paths to attack someone else. I stared, unable to process what was happening until she smacked the Hell out of me. My head snapped to the side.

"Ghost! I'm going to grab Makena. I need you to get her to a hospital. Okay?"

"I've got you," Ghost said with a nod.

Scarlet Cat have a single nod before she bolted towards Paramount, dropping and sliding halfway across the floor to get to her. She used her nails to stop herself, creating huge gashes in the tile. "Hey, hey! It's okay Makena. I'm here. I'm not going to let you die. Just look at me."

Paramount attempted to tilt her head.

Scarlet Cat must've smiled, a foreign warmth filling her eyes. "Good job. I'm going to-"

A Savior glanced over at her before firing her gun straight into Scarlet Cat's shoulder, only for them to be tackled by Fauna a split second later. She snapped his neck and moved on.

Scarlet Cat brought her hand up to the wound as blood gushed out, meeting my eyes.

It's okay, don't panic, she can heal.

She shook her head and waited a few moments, but so much blood had already soaked through her uniform that I had to run over, setting the potted plants near any Savior on fire to give a temporary distraction.

Ghost looked over at me and nodded once. I shielded my eyes with one hand while dropping down besides Scarlet, reaching out. My hand her boot. I laced my hands around her ankles and tugged, dragging her down the hall. Blood smeared across the floor as I pulled her into an empty room.

"Why aren't you healing?" I asked, peeking my head out the door. I set fire to two Saviors, flicking a hand towards them. The flames spread across the floor, following the trail of blood. I ducked back into the room just as a bullet whizzed by and embedded itself into the wall.

I slammed the door closed, then locked it before rushing over to Scarlet Cat's side. "Hey! Stay awake!"

Scarlet Cat groaned, struggling to keep her eyes open. "I'm bleeding out. Usually I heal by...the bullet is working as a power dampener. I think. It's still in my shoulder."

I grinded my teeth together and helped her sit up, propping her against the wall. "You're going to have to pull your suit down some so I can get it out and then cauterize the wound."