4

I froze in disbelief. Seriously? He called me a prize? It's surprising how much lack of respect this man has.

     Tyler walked back to his desk.
"I've never heard of a half-breed before. It's.. interesting."

     I thought about it. "Maybe I'm not even a half-breed. Maybe there's a glitch or something."

     "Or you're just lying. Maybe you have dyed your hair."

     "I'm not. I haven't."

     He looked at me with sharp eyes. "Only one way to find out."

     "Wh-" It happened so fast I couldn't even react. I felt a sting and looked down. My arm had a cut that wasn't there before.

     "Hey wha-" I looked up to glare at Tyler, but I saw that he had frozen. His finger was in his mouth and his eyes were wide.

     "Ty- er, Adler?"

     He looked at me for a second and then called for Ann, Marcos, and Javier.

     "Javier, take him to the Prims. But put him in the rooms separate from the rest," he half whispered.

     "Marcos, Ann, stay here. I need to speak with you."

     I walked out with Javier, not sure what happened.

     "Javier, what's going on?"

     He looked at me and hesitated.

     "I don' know, Jayden. Boss'll tell me, I'm sure."

     "You're real close to him, aren't you?"

     "Yeah, me 'n Marcos been with him since he was tiny," he laughed.

     I smiled sadly. I never had anyone growing up.
     We got to the Prims, but we took a different turn. Javier led me down some stairs and into an odd hallway. We reached the room I assumed was mine. It looked like the last one I had, but this one was bigger. It came with a restroom.

     "Don't worry, kid. This is temporary, just like the last one."

     "How long will I stay here?" I asked worryingly.

     "I.. don't know. But, I'm sure it won't be for too long. Just long enough to sort things out."

     "Okay. See ya later, Javier. Hopefully."

     He gave a small nod and left. What was I supposed to do now? Could I even leave this room? Crap, I forgot to ask that.

                           ~~~

     When I woke up from a nap, I saw Ann in the room with some strawberry waffles and water.

     "Oh, Ann, not you too," I yawned.

     "What?"

     "You- you're not supposed to- like, sneak into my room when I'm sleeping. I told Marcos the same thing. It's rude and.. weird."

     "Ah, sorry." She laughed.
"Anyway, I brought you your waffles. And some water." She handed me the food.

     My eyes lit up. "Oh, thank you! God, this is delicious."

     "Yes.. Jayden, we need to talk," she said as I stuffed my mouth.

     "Okay, tell me."

     "As we suspected," she hesitated, "you are, I suppose, a half-breed."

     "Oh, really? I never would have guessed."

     My sarcasm was ignored. 

     "And you're the first anyone's ever heard of," Ann continued,  "Like, ever. It's scientifically impossible for Kamils and humans to reproduce.
     "That means you're one of a kind. We cannot have anyone finding out about you. Nobody. Because, if they do, you will be hunted down for the rest of your life. You must remain hidden and protected.
     "So, Tyler told me to move you into a new room. One closer to the base. Just to keep an eye on you."

     "Cool, so am I officially a part of the mafia now?"

     "Yeah," she laughed, "I guess so."

                           ~~~

     My new room looked really awesome. It was bigger than all the other rooms I had before. It smelled really nice, too. Like roses or something.

     "You're free to walk around, if you want. Try not to go to the Prims, please. They might get jealous and possibly violent. And try not to interact with the other vampires. They might get.. grabby, with a Kamil walking around. And those kinds of actions are prohibited in the mafia."

     "Okay, sure, thanks."

     "Yeah. See you around, Jayden."

                           ~~~

     It had been a few weeks and I was honestly enjoying it. This definitely beats staying in my crappy old apartment.
     Sometimes I walked around. I stuck with Ann most of the time, and sometimes I hung out with Javier and Marcos. Tyler sometimes joined us whenever we were doing some stupid shit, but he stayed in his room or office a lot.

     "Hey Ann, why is Tyl- Adler always in his office?" I asked one day when I ran into her.

     "Oh he's.. busy. Just doing boss stuff."

     "Haha, busy doing what? Drinking Kamils?" I joked. What a lame joke.

     "Yeah, I'm guessing," she laughed.

                           ~~~

       One day, I started getting weird looks from the other vampires. They never really paid attention to me much, so I didn't know why they would start now.
     They started looking at me with.. desire. More than before. Some started talking to me. It was really creepy.
     I had to keep my guard up most of the time.
     As I wandered off one day, three of the vampires started to corner me.