Chapter 1: Old Doors, New Opportunities

Начните с самого начала

(Present Day, Izuku is 18, Eri is 14)

A sunny Saturday morning. A perfect day to catch up on some well-deserved rest and relaxation, especially for a student about to enter UA, the most prestigious university in the world. However, Izuku Midoriya chooses to spend his time in a different way.

"No no no! It still won't work. Come on there has to be something I can do!" Izuku said aloud, speaking to no one but himself out of frustration.

"What's wrong?" Eri said, getting up from the sofa, putting her phone in her pocket.

"Eri it's fine, you would just say what I'm doing is boring anyways."

"Wait you're going over bank statements again, I thought you went through them yesterday?" she asked inquisitively.

"Well I'm trying to find a way I can go to UA and still have enough money coming in just so that we can cover our costs and I can save up for later." he said, only now turning to look at her.

"Well Aunt Mitsuki could help" she replied.

"I know, but she's probably gonna have to help Kaachan as well plus she's already done a lot for us, I can't just ask her to financially support two students." Izuku said with a tinge of frustration in his voice. "Plus it'll be really hard for me to do a job with how busy i'll be in Uni." he sighed.

"I swear the first year is just you messing around though right? That is what literally everyone says, so find a job then and just quit once you start your second year" Eri said with confidence.

"True, but think about it. Not only is it just a short-term option but it also rules out the fact that UA just updated its courses, and that time when I'll be free is better used in trying to take extra seminars to broaden my knowledge. The fact that the Uni gives us the means to go to those is one of the reasons why companies love it so much because it's cheap marketing." Izuku said, rambling.

"So you're still screwed." Eri said, her confidence being replaced with the same frustration that has.

"Hey, it was still a good idea. But yeah, I'm screwed. Even with the money from the benefits we  get it still won't be enough, and we spent all of Mum's life insurance money to buy the apartment." Izuku begun, trying to start from scratch once again. However hearing Izuku gave Eri an idea, albeit one she knew he wouldn't like.

"I think I've got an idea but I don't know if you'll like it." Eri said, nervous of her brother's response.

"Eri I'm getting nowhere on my own, I'm open ears go ahead." Izuku said, leaning back in his chair.

"Well, now that you're 18 the home belongs to you right?" Eri asked, starting to walk Izuku through her thought process.

"Yeah" Izuku replied, waiting for her to continue.

"And we don't live that far from UA, just a 40 minute commute and that can be cut down to 30 minutes if we tried right?" Eri said, getting excited that Izuku was going along with this.

"Uh huh" Izuku said as he motioned for her to keep going.

"So that makes this home a good location for students especially." Eri said, now slightly nervous again.

"Wait, are you about to say what I think you are?" Izuku said, as his mood dropped.

"I know you don't like the idea of it, but we could rent out Mum's old room. It's a master so we can get more money out of it than a normal room, our apartment is a duplex in a nice area and a student would be willing to pay more because of how close it is to UA. And if a UA student comes and lives with us then it'll not only make mornings easy but then we could have a long-term friend." Eri said, sweating more with each word she said.

"Eri, I appreciate the idea but I can't." Izuku replied with a solemn look on his face.

"Why? Look I understand the room holds sentimental value to you, it does to me too, but come on Izuku? When was the last time you got a chance to talk to someone about your problems?" Eri snapped back, now shifting her frustration from the problem to Izuku.

"I don't know" Izuku answered as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Look I know that you know that you have me, I get that, but despite how mature I am there's still things I don't understand. And I'm okay with that, but what I'm not okay with is you bottling up all your emotions. I know you have to look out for me and take care of everything in your own life and that you don't have time. But that's not good enough. I know I always tease you about finding a girlfriend but I do mean it. A partner like that is the only person who can understand you and be with you at all times. Hell, you haven't had a single crush in your life! You have to stop thinking about others and think about yourself. I know why you want to go to UA and your dream to help others, I get it, I do. But you can only help others if you help yourself first." Eri said, as she saw Izuku with tears streaming down his face.

"You know you *sniff*  really do sound like her right now" Izuku replied, moved by Eri's words.

"Well then you remember what she used to say: life is just a series of doors, to find new opportunities you just have to be brave enough to open them" Eri said, starting to tear up herself.

"I- I don't know what to say. Eri than-" Izuku started, but was then cut off by his sister hugging him

"Don't say that. We're family, helping each other is just what we do" Eri said, her voice muffled by Izuku's shoulder.

"I'll do it." Izuku said, smiling like his mother would.

"Seriously?!" Eri exclaimed, "You'll consider it?" she asked.

"I'll put it up on the market, see how much I can get for it, besides, you know what else Mum used to say: the only way to face the world is by wearing a smile, so come on Eri, smile for me okay?" Izuku replied, trying to cheer her up.

"I know, look" she said, wiping her face "I'm smiling" Eri said as a big grin was plastered across her face

"Well this is ironic now that I think about it" Izuku said, opening his laptop.

"What is?" Eri inquired, having no idea what her older brother was talking about.

"An old door leading to a new opportunity." Izuku said with a hint of profoundness in his voice.

"Yeah I guess I can see that. Oh, and speaking of new things I'll need some good quality noise-cancelling headphones" she said, a smirk forming across her face.

"Why?" Izuku said, confused at this bizarre request.

"Well when your new girlfriend moves in I don't wanna be kept up all night when you two start hitting third base on the regular" Eri smugly replied.

"ERI! For god's sake!" Izuku said whilst laughing.

"I swear if I got 100 yen for every time you tease me about not having a girlfriend I'd probably have a girlfriend by now." Izuku said, still laughing intermittently.

"Oh please, no amount of money could ever make up for that ugly ass face of yours" Eri replied.

"Says the person who's related to me" Izuku came back as the two of them both laughed together, calling a ceasefire. And while they did, Izuku only had one thought: 
"Now this is a good Saturday morning..."

A/N: Hi guys! Hope you enjoyed the first official chapter of this story. Sorry about the exposition dump at the beginning but it was needed. And as for the part about Izuku not having anyone to talk to, I know I rambled but I can relate to Izuku when it comes to losing a parent at that age, so I think a little bit of me came into the story, which is why it might've gotten a bit too real for a second

Now I know in the anime Izuku's apartment isn't a duplex but I just thought it would be fun to change up the living space a bit, plus that was the first thing that came to mind.

As for next weeks upload i'll try my best despite me being busy. Until then, have a nice day!