Chapter 44: One Step At a Time

Mustafu in the evening. It was a sight that Izuku had seen time after time. Whether he be a small child, walking back to Mitsuki's house with Kaachan after a day of playing outside. Or after a long shift at the convenience store with Nejire, the summer heat forcing the daylight to never end.

But he'd never walked the path quite like this. Truth be told, every time he spotted something different. Even if he wasn't looking for a point of contrast, and even if the exact same people were walking the exact same path, it still felt different. Every single step was unique.

Almost getting lost in his thoughts, he looked up, finally at his home, or at least, it was in view.

Getting out his phone, he scrolled through the various notifications he'd received.

"An email from UA... it's just a newsletter. Oh shit, Tamaki posted something in the group chat. I'll message Ochako and check it out."

Izuku
Hey, I'm just getting home now, do you know when you'll be back?

Ochako
I'll be back soon, maybe in an hour? I'm just with Todoroki.

Izuku
No worries, see you soon, hope you had a good day.

He waited for any kind of follow-up, but didn't get one. Brushing it off, he reached into his other pocket, needing a second to remember he gave his keys to Momo.

Ringing the doorbell, he waited for it to open, but without even a second passing, it swung open, surprised at the turnaround.

"Were you waiting by the door or something?" He asked, chuckling slightly and entering inside.

"I was just walking downstairs and I heard you. How did the application go?" Eri asked, sighing in relief as Izuku closed and locked the door.

"It didn't. I've got a good plan for the cover letter, and I've been through the process, but there's a lot that goes into it. Yagi's treating it like an internship, so there's a psychometric test too." He explained, taking his shoes off, "Where's Momo?" He asked.

"She's in the kitchen, and has earphones in." Eri replied, as Izuku just had a surprised expression.

"Let's surprise her then, shall we?" Izuku said with a mischievous grin, peering around the corner of the hallway, as Momo stood at the burners, simmering something and adding spices.

Light on his feet, he thought about shaking her, but it didn't seem too safe, lest she burn herself. Settling, he gave her a tap on the shoulder, watching her almost jump out of her skin as she turned around.

"Miss me?" He asked teasingly, only to be met with a scream loud enough for their neighbours to hear.

"You bastard... don't scare me like that!" She exclaimed jokingly, taking her earphones out and putting them in her pocket.

"You didn't answer my question." Izuku pointed out, a shit-eating grin still visible on his face.

"Fine... I missed you so so much." Momo replied sarcastically, wanting to lean in and whisper into his ear, but the peripheral view of Eri sitting on the sofa stopped her.

"Aw, I missed you too honey" Izuku teased, unable to hold back laughter at his own joke, as he kissed her on the cheek and looked over at the pot she had on the boil, "What are you making?"

"Tsukemen, well, sort of. I'm just making a super thick broth, and I'll serve it with the noodles." She replied, gesturing over to the dried ramen noodles that Izuku had in his cupboard.

"You didn't have to cook, I would have made something" Izuku said.

"I know, but I like being a housewife~ It's too bad you didn't have any cute aprons" She teased, giving him a very suggestive look and grin, "Plus, I wanted to eat anyway. Now, get out of my kitchen." She said playfully, with Izuku listening to his girlfriend and leaving.