forty one | ember island players

Start from the beginning

"I think the actor's pretty spot on." Mari teased.

"How could you say that?"Zuko said extending his arm forward. "Oh just wait until the introduce your character." He said sitting back into his chair.

After scenes Sokka in dresses, an awful portrayal of the blue spirit story, and other corny jokes. The Abbey scene finally arrived.

Mari smiled excitedly, waiting to see her actress. "There I am!" She whispered, pointing to a girl walking up to a paralyzed Zuko and Iroh.

"Hey you. I'm going to help you find the Avatar!" She said dramatically.

"I don't need your help." Said Zuko's actor.

"Yes you do! You suck! and I am a powerful earthbender, you need me!" Shouted the actress

"That's not how it went at all! They make me sound so full of myself" Mari exclaimed.

"I think the actor's pretty spot on." Zuko mocked earning a nudge in the side from Mari.

As the story progressed, Mari felt her mouth drop even wider from the inaccuracy of it all.

"I have to admit Prince Zuko, I really find you attractive!" Katara's actress said in the crystal catacombs.

"You don't have to make fun of me." He responded.

"But I mean it! I've had eyes for you since the day you first captured me."

This made Katara and Zuko exchange uncomfortable glances before shifting away from each other.

"Wait, I thought you were the Avatar's girl!"

"The Avatar?" Actress Katara laughed. "Why, he's like a little brother to me! I certainly don't think of him in a romantic way. Besides how could he ever find out about this."

Stage Katara and Zuko embraced each other as romantic music played in the background. Aang and Mari now shared the same blank expression.

Aang quickly got up and walked away abruptly.

"Oh you're getting up? Can you get me some fire flakes? Oh and some fire gummies!" Sokka whispered to him.

---

When the intermission had finally came, Katara went off to find Aang and Toph, Mari and Zuko sat in the hallway.

"Geez everyone is getting so upset over their characters, even you seem more down than usual." Toph said to Zuko.

"You don't get it, it's different for you. You get a muscly version of yourself, taking down ten bad guys at once, and making sassy remarks."

"Yeah it's pretty great!" Toph smiled, thinking of her actor, a large man with huge muscles and snarky comments.

"But for me, it takes all the mistakes I've made in my life, and shoves them back in my face. My uncle, he's always been on my side, even when things were bad. He was there for me, he taught me so much, and how do I repay him? With a knife in his back. It's my greatest regret, and I may never get to redeem myself." Zuko admitted.

Mari placed her hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him.

"You have redeemed yourself to your uncle. You don't realize it, but you already have." Toph said to him.

"How do you know?"

"Because I once had a long conversation with the guy. You were all he talked about."

"Really?" He asked, turning to Mari. She smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, and it was kinda annoying." Toph continued.

"Sorry." Zuko said looking down.

"But it was also very sweet. All your uncle wanted was for you to find your own path, and see the light. Now you're here with us. He'd be proud" Toph smiled, punching Zuko in the arm.

"Ow, what was that for?" He rubbed his arm.

"That's how I show affection." Toph shrugged.

A boy wearing an Aang costume ran passed Toph but stopped at Zuko and Mari.

"Your Zuko costume is pretty good, but your scar is on the wrong side." He said before running off.

"My scar is not on the wrong side!" Zuko yelled.

---

After a very horrible ending, including Zuko and Aang dying and the Fire Lord winning, the group trudged back to the house, concerned.

"That play wasn't good." Zuko said.

"Terrible." Mari groaned.

"I'll say"

"No kidding"

"Horrible."

"You said it."

The seven continued walking until Sokka paused.

"But the effects were decent."