nineteen | a new perspective

"Who thought that when we came to this city as refugees, that I'd end up owning my own tea shop. Follow your passion, and life will reward you." Iroh smiled as the three watched as customers poured into the Jasmine Dragon.

"Congratulations, Uncle." Zuko smiled.

"I'm very thankful."

"You deserve it. The Jasmine Dragon will be the best tea shop in the city."

Mari looked up at Zuko astonished at his new attitude on life. She smiled to herself, enjoying this Zuko.

"No. I'm thankful becuase you decided to share this special say with me. It means more than you know." Iroh smiled, sentimentally.

Zuko brought his Uncle into a hug. In which he gladly returned.

"Alright, enough family time. Let's make these rich people some tea." Mari smiled and walked into the kitchen.

---

Zuko and Mari spent most of the day serving. Mari fed off of Zuko's positive attitude and found herself feeling happier as well. For the first time, she even got to hear Zuko laugh, a real one.

"He asked for a lychee tea but to substitute the lychee for jasmine." Mari said with a laugh. Causing Zuko to do the same.

"Then why not order jasmine tea?" Zuko asked.

"That's what I told him." Mari said astonished.

Iroh came back to the kitchen holding a teapot. "Hey I have more customers that need to be served. Or would you two just like to sit in here and act like children." He said sternly.

Mari and Zuko had to pinch themselves to stop from laughing. "Sorry Iroh." They said simultaneously before leaving. Once they left, Iroh's stern face fell into a bright smile as he watched the two get along so well.

When the business started getting slower, Iroh called for Zuko and Mari, telling them to take the rest of the day off and go somewhere.

"I'll meet you back at the apartment tonight for supper." Iroh suggested. They nodded before hanging up their aprons and walking out of the shop.

The upper ring was beautiful an had many amazing places to visit.

They first stopped at the market, picking up some bread and fruit becuase they were starving from their work shift.

They asked around and were eventually led to a small lake near the outskirts of the Upper Ring. There wasn't many people there so they sat down on the shore and ate their lunch.

"What's it like in the Fire Nation?" Mari asked as she watched turtle ducks swim by.

Zuko paused thinking it over. "Well, it's quite amazing. The palace had big courtyards where my sister and her friends would play. And there were these ponds in the middle of them where my mother and I would sit just like this and eat lunch after fire bending training."

"Can you tell me about her?" She asked. Zuko looked at her and then looked down.

"She was so beautiful. And kind. She was the only person that ever really cared for me." Zuko said softly. "One day, my father was going to have me killed. My mother pleaded with my father to let me stay. I never knew what happened after that, but I never saw her again." He said looking down.

"I'm sorry." Mari said touching his shoulder.

"It's not your fault. To be honest, I blame myself." Zuko admitted.

Mari looked at him in surprise. "Your fault?"

"My sister was always stronger than me. If I were to of trained harder, maybe he wouldn't of saw me as the weak link."

"Zuko you were a kid. You can't put that kind of guilt on yourself.

He only nodded, before looking back at the lake.

---

They finished eating in silence. Not knowing want to say to each other. Zuko cleared his throat. "You know. I was hard on my Uncle before, but he's right. I could actually see a good life here." He admitted.

Mari smiled not looking at him. "You don't mean that."

He looked down at her surprised. "What?"

She continued. "You say that becuase it's what you want to believe. But it's actually not. You're meant for more, Zuko. You crave it. You may be happy here for a little while, but the longer you stay, the more you long for the Fire Nation. No matter how horrible it's treated you." She said this knowing that they were in the same situation. The only way she would be able to return to her village was if she brought her mother home. Her father would accept her again and her life would return to how it was three years ago.

Zuko looked at her the way he once used to look at his mother. He felt the weight lift off of his shoulders. As if he had just admitted his darkest secret. Except he hadn't. She already knew, Mari understood him like no one else did.

"How did you know." Zuko asked.

"Because I know you." She responded, finally looking up at him.

Zuko's eyes locked on hers and the two began to lean in closer. Their lips brushed over one another before they pressed together softly. Mari closed her eyes longingly as his lips matched perfectly against her own.

Zuko reached down, pulling her into his lap and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her in closer.

Mari cupped his cheeks into her hands as butterflies filled her stomach. When they finally pulled away, the rested their foreheads against one another, eyes closed. The pad of her thumb gently brushed over the scarred flesh on Zuko's face before opening her eyes and looking down at him.

"It's getting late." She said softly, watching the sun begin to set on the horizon. Zuko nodded and helped her up, and they walked back to the apartment in comfortable silence.

"Dinner is almost ready." Iroh said when they returned. The two nodded before heading to their rooms to freshen up. When Mari closed her door she sat on the bed, a smile forming on her face as did a blush.