twenty one | back with the living

It had been weeks since they had escaped Ba Sing Se. Aang had been struck by Azula's lightening in the back, in what she and everyone else were convinced it was a fatal shot. However, Katara used the last amount of Spirit water, water wit special healing properties taken straight from it's spirit oasis source, to save him from his would-be-fatal wounds. The Avatar had been in and out of consciousness since then. After reuniting with Toph, Sokka, the Earth King and his pet bear, (who soon continued on their own path to travel the world) they decided it was best to travel back to Sokka and Katara's father and his troops in Chamelon Bay. From there, they conducted a plan to sieze a Fire Nation ship and pose as Fire Nation to stay out of trouble as Aang continued to heal. While doing so, they had learned that news of Aang's encounter with Azula had spread, and it presumed him to be dead. They decided to use this as an advantage, as it meant they should expect less trouble from the Fire Nation.

"Are you going to finish that?" Sokka asked, dressed in full Fire Soldier armor.

Mari shook her head. "Here." She smiled lightly, handing him the remains of her stew. Sokka smiled back, chugging the stew in the bowl.

She turned her attention to the dark horizon. Being back on a fire navy ship reminded her of her first few weeks traveling with the banished prince and his uncle. Although the thought of Zuko haunted her, she couldn't help but feel a soft nostalgia. The wounds of Zuko's betrayal were still fresh. Mari avoided any conversation about him with anyone. Her heart also hurt for Iroh, who must have been locked away, or worse. She tried not to think about it, but the long days aboard the ship made it almost impossible. At night, she'd awake from dreams of the prince. Some were remanences of real memories they shared together, others were strange dreams of him calling to her. No matter what the scenario was, she'd awake with a bitter taste in her mouth. She resented him for what he had done, but she also resented herself for still thinking and dreaming about him.

"Twinkle Toes! That's gotta be you." Toph exclaimed from near Mari, snapping her out of her thoughts. Mari turned to see Aang standing on the deck of the ship, bandaged up, with a full head of hair. He's awake.

"Aang! You're awake." Katara smiled running to him. Mari smiled and rose with Sokka, making their way over to the avatar.

"Are you sure? It feels like I'm dreaming." He said groggily.

"You're not dreaming." Katara said hugging him. "You're finally awake!"

"Aang! Good to see you back with the living, buddy." Sokka said, hugging the boy as well.

"Sokka?" Aang questioned, recognizing the voice speaking behind the armor. Aang began to sigh, growing lightheaded.

"Uh oh- Somebody catch him he's gonna-" Toph began before Aang fainted.

"He's probably still drowsy, all of this must be pretty intense for him to wake up too." Mari contributed.

"Mari's right, we should take him to a quieter area so he's not overwhelmed when he awakes again." Sokka said before carrying him off with his sister.

Mari watched as they carried the unconscious avatar away, a uneasy feeling growing in her stomach. She looked back out at the water, the moon was now fully risen, it's beams dancing over the waves.

--

He watched as moon's reflection danced over the waves while the ship moved on at a steady pace. The air was chill, and a slight fog blanketed the ocean.

"Aren't you cold?" Said a raspy voice. Zuko turned to see Mai, a pale girl with jet black hair and cold, yet delicate tawny eyes, approach him.

"I've just got alot on my mind. It's just been so long, almost three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed." Zuko admitted.

Mai only yawned at his deep response. "I just asked if you were cold. I didn't ask for your whole life story." She said with an amused grin. Zuko looked down, embarrassed.

She walked up to him, placing her hand on his cheek, turning his face to meet hers. "Stop worrying" She said and kissed him. The two smiled before she left and returned inside. Zuko watched as his girlfriend walked off, before turning back to the water, once again getting lost in his thoughts.

--

"Why are we on a Fire Nation ship? Why is everyone dressed this way? And why am I the only one completely out of it?" Aang questioned all at once.

"You need to take it easy, okay? You got hurt pretty bad." Katara said to him

Mari smiled, setting down some water next to him. "Nice hair." She joked.

"I have hair?!" Aang exclaimed, reaching for his head. "How long was I out?"

"A few weeks." Mari responded

"Everything okay?" Hakoda, who Mari had learned to be Katara and Sokka's father who had been fighting with the Southern Troops, asked.

"We're fine dad." Katara said, looking away.

"I'm Hakoda, Katara and Sokka's father." He said, extending his hand to Aang

"He know's who you are, I just called you "dad", didn't I?"

The mans face fell. "I guess you're right." He said a hint of sadness in his voice

"Nice to officially meet you Chief Hakoda." Aang said, taking his hand.

"It's an honor to meet you."

"Great, great. Now you guys have finally met, so would you mind giving us a little privacy." Katara interrupted.

"Of course.." Hakoda sighed before leaving.

Mari and Aang turned to Katara. Mari had noticed how aggressive Katara had been acting towards her dad lately, but she knew they weren't close enough for Mari to ask why.

"Are you mad at your dad or something?" Aang asked.

"What? Not at all. Why would you say that."

Aang and Mari exchanged glances before shrugging.

Aang began to groan from the action, his wound hurting him.

"We should go upstairs, you need a healing session." Katara insisted, walking off with Aang.

Mari turned her head, and found herself alone yet again, staring out into the ocean.