Life With Libby Summers (Part 14)

Libby POV

A shrill scream escapes my mouth as Lucy falls to the ground. No one else is scared shitless, they’re used to this I guess. Charlotte grabs a bucket from the kitchen, Joseph gets a fleece blanket off the couch and Greg grabs the car keys. I feel like I’m in a dream, like this isn’t happening. As Joseph wraps Lucy in the blanket she coughs up blood. That’s when I realize that there’s blood EVERYWHERE. It’s coming from her nose and out of her mouth. It’s all over the cream colored carpet and the blue blanket. Next thing I know I’m sitting in the front of the car, next to Greg. “It’s going to be OK, Libby. We’ve been through this a million times before.”

******************

Half an hour later Lucy is in a ward swamped by doctors. No one will tell us what’s going on and why.

******************

Joseph POV

After 5 hours of waiting at the hospital, Dad drives Libby and I home. The doctors wont reveal anything so there’s no point in us being there.

***************** (The next morning. 10.AM)

*Riiing. Ring ring. Riiiing. Ring ring.* The ring tone fills the house. It stops almost straight away. I guess my dad was sitting right next to the phone, waiting for the call from the doctors. I hear Dad’s muffled voice for about 5 minutes before he comes into my room. “Joe, Lucy needs a bone marrow transplant. I’m off to the hospital.”

“Kay Dad. Give her a hug from me.”

My Dad’s at the hospital to see if he can give her his marrow. Her cancer is taking over her body giving her Anemia and a high fever. She’s comatose but my Mother is sitting at her bedside reading her favorite story. I know all this from Libby who decided to go to the hospital as well. She rings me every hour to give me updates. Nothing changes much.

*****************

Libby POV (1 week later 16 weeks pregnant)

Lucy’s condition hasn’t changed much. For some reason Greg’s bone marrow isn’t

compatible with Lucy’s. Charlotte got tested and she can’t donate. I can’t donate because I’m pregnant so that just leaves Joseph. He’s coming in today to be tested.

****************

Joseph’s marrow matches Lucy’s. The operation will be as soon as possible.

**************

Joseph POV 2 days later.

I’m seriously freaking out. Today I’m going to have about 10 HUGE needles stuck into my bone - OUCH! But then the marrow is going to be passed on to Lucy. And that makes it all worth while.

***************

Libby POV (After Joseph’s operation)

“Unicorns are gangsta as...I come from the land of bleeeuberreeees. Libooi Summers is ceeeeeul!” Joseph slurs. He’s still all weird form the anesthetic. Lucy received the marrow and is hopefully on her way to recovery.

 Libby POV (4 weeks after Joseph’s operation. 20 weeks pregnant.)

I just felt the baby move for the first time :O Picking up my phone I excitedly call Ellie and tell her about the feeling of her baby kick. “It was the little jab! It was amazing.” I squeal. It takes me a few seconds to realize that she’s crying. “Ellie? What’s wrong?”

“I’ll never be as lucky as you.” Then she hangs up.  I text her:

What do you mean?

I’ll never get to feel my child kicking, I’ll never even get to hold my own child.

That’s why I’m giving you my daughter.

It doesn’t help the pain.

******************

Joseph POV

A week and a half after Lucy’s bone marrow transplant she came back home but ended up in the hospital again just the next day. She’s a very sick little girl, the doctors have put her on radiation. For two hours each day, five day a week Lucy has radiation therapy using beams pointed directly at the spot where her cancer is. It sounds a bit like something from outer space. Hah. It’s a lot more serious than that. I just wish she would get better and come home.