Life With Libby Summers (Part 8)

Libby POV

New text message from: Joseph xo:

Hey (: Wana go to the beach 2morrow?

Sure :D

Hows 12.30?

Perfect :)

It’s a date.

So it’s two weeks after me and Joseph kissed. I know your wondering if we go out and…..we don’t. We don’t want to ruin our friendship...Joseph is my very best friend. And I love him like a brother, I don’t want to hurt him. He understands...I think.

********************

Joseph POV

Every night I dream about Libby, usually the same dream. Tonight it’s the reoccurring one. I’m in a fight and I get knocked out. She’s this angel who comes forward and cries on my wounds. They heal but I’m still out of it. She presses her soft lips to mine and I wake up. Every time I wake up I’m angry. Angry that I’m not good enough for her. There’s strange noises coming from the bathroom. Sounds of someone being sick. Quick as a flash, I’m down the hall and pounding on the door.

“Open the door! It’s Joseph, open the door!” The old door slowly swings open with an earsplitting creak. My seven year old sister, Lucy is lying in a crumpled heap on the floor, surrounded by her own puke and blood.

“Oh shit.” Her mournful green eyes meet mine.

”You said a bad wor-” She gags. See Lucy isn’t like other seven year old girls. She doesn’t play with toys, dress up with little $2 shop make up and pop a little Barbie handbag over her shoulder. She’s dying of Acute lymphoblastic  Leukemia. Also known as ALL.

“Joey, my head hurts. And my tummy.”

My parents are out of town for two nights and I don’t know what to do. So I dial 111 on my cell.

“Hello 111 emergency. Fire, Ambulance or Police.”

“My sister, she has leukemia and something's wrong. She’s puking blood and stuff. Help!”

“Ok I need some details off you then I’ll send a ambulance to you,” She asks how old Lucy is, how long she’s had leukemia, my name and address.

“Ok thank you Joseph. An ambulance is on it’s way. My names Geena I’m going to help until they arrive. Clean up Lucy and put a clean nightdress on her and wrap her in a duvet. Keep her near a toilet in case she’s still being sick. Is she still conscious? Keep talking to her, don’t let her close her eyes!” Geena’s really helpful. After 15 minutes the ambulance arrives and we’re whisked off to the hospital. A young trainee is sitting in the back with me. She’s holding Lucy’s hand and quietly murmuring into her ear. She turns to me.

“Joseph, can you tell me the name of her oncologist?” That’s easy, her names Dr. Simpson. A woman in her late 30’s with a kind smile and a sweet scent of honey. She’s been working with Lucy for almost 5 years.

“Dr. A. Simpson. I’m not sure what the A stands for, sorry.” The trainee smiles at me and turns back to my sister. It’s not until we arrive at the hospital and Lucy’s taken away from me that I remember my parents. I’m standing in the middle of a waiting room, panicking and close to tears when a familiar looking woman quickly walks up to me.

 “Joseph Gray? What on earth are you doing here?” It’s Tala Montgomerie. Libby’s physiatrist.

“Oh Tala!” I sob. She hugs me tightly and lets me cry on her shoulder. After her shirt has absorbed all the tears it can, She leads me to her office. It’s a small room painted sky blue. There are some quotes pinned on the wall and some jokes too. There’s a desk covered with random crap like thank you cards and Garfield calendars, two comfy looking plastic chairs and a hospital bed with a fluffy pillow and huge duvet. 

“Lie down Joseph. I’m going to make a few phone calls and try get hold of your sisters oncologist...Who exactly is your sister’s oncologist?”

“Dr. A. Simpson.”

“Oh Andrea! Lovely woman. Lucy’s in good hands.” For about half an hour she’s on the phone to Dr. Simpson, talking in confusing medical terms. After that she rings my parents. Half way through her conversation with them, I fall asleep on the bed.

********************

Libby POV.

Joseph stood me up. I’ve been sitting at the beach for an hour. He won’t answer his phone. Sighing I see a bus that will take me to his place. Getting off the bus I creep around their yard, peeping through all the windows. When I get to the bathroom I scream. There’s blood everywhere. Then I notice a small note taped to the window:

“I’m sorry Libby. There’s a family emergency. Will call you at 8.30 tonight. I’m so, so sorry.”

Well at least he left a note.

********************

Joseph’s POV

“Joseph sweetie, it’s mum.” Ugh where am I? It smells like a hospital in here. Sitting up, I realize it is a hospital. I’m still In Tala’s office. Mum smiles at me. It’s a really fake smile.

“Sweetie you slept all day. It’s 6.30. C’mon we’re going to see Lucy.” It turns out we can’t “see” Lucy - but we can discuss her… for hours. My family and I are in a meeting room with 5 other doctors. None of them being Dr. Simpson. Only one of them is speaking. Some old fart who thinks he knows everything about our family. Turns out her kidney’s are failing majorly and she needs a transplant ASAP. And after that She’s gonna need chemotherapy and probably radiation.

“I don’t think you understand! Lucy is in remission! She’s fine!” Obviously my mum’s the one who doesn’t understand.

“Mrs. Gray, when someone is in remission it does not mean they are cured for ever. There is always a high chance of it coming back. Her induction therapy would have put her in remission. I trust it did, yes?”

“Yes that is correct. She didn’t have any chemotherapy though, Dr. Simpson believed that we should wait for a  while. She did have radiation. And she was on a lot of pills. She was announced to be in remission the day after her 5th birthday. We were all so relieved.”

“And she has been doing her second phase of therapy?” My mother looks confused.

“Excuse me?”

“Your daughter has ALL. Meaning she will have three phases of treatment. During her remission she should have started consolidation/intensification therapy. This therapy  is to kill any remaining leukemia cells that may not be active but could begin to regrow and cause a relapse. “

“Oh yes, Lucy is on that. I’m very sorry, It’s just I’m so, so tired.”

“Of course Mrs. Gray. Well I’m sorry to tell you that Lucy has had a relapse. She’s being put on top of the kidney transplant list. Chemotherapy will start ASAP. Thank you for your time.