Life With Libby Summers (Part 11)

Libby POV 5 weeks pregnant.

I’ve been meeting with heaps of adoptive families. The first family is a married couple in their early 30’s. The chicks name is Ellie Velzen. She has shoulder length blond hair and dark blue eyes. She’s all smiley and happy. The guys name is Dan Velzen. He has black hair that flops into his eyes. He’s all muscle and also really friendly. “So Ellie. Why do you want to adopt?” I ask.

“When I was 18 I went through something called a premature menopause. It means I can’t have children. And I was at the adoption agency when I noticed your picture on the bulletin board. I felt so bad for you, a poor 14 year old girl having to give up her baby. So I decided to help you.” Woah. That’s sad.

“Oh I’m so sorry! You can’t have kids and I’m giving mine up! I feel so bad!” Ellie smiles.

“Don’t be. Your giving us a beautiful gift.”

*************

Joseph POV

Lucy starts chemo today. We’ve tried and tried to explain to her what’s going on. I try one more time. “Heyyy Lucy-loo!!” I smile, sauntering into her ward.

“Joey!! Heyo!”

“So Lucy. Today your going to start taking some medicine and it’s going to make you feel bad. But it’s going to be taking away your cancer. And the cancer is very, very bad. So you won’t be angry about the medicine?”

“No Joey. I will be a good girl. Love you.”

“Love you too, Lucy.” She looks right up at me. Her blue eyes pleading.

“Joey will you stay with me?:” I lye down next to her.

“’Course I will.”

******************

Libby POV

The second possible adoptive family are much more...eccentric. The girl has pinkish red hair, piercing blue eyes, baggy leopard print hammer pants and a see through black, fluttery dress. Her names Janice McGump. Her husband is dead. Something tells me I’m not choosing this chick to raise my child. “So Mrs. McGump -”

“Oh call me Janice, buttercup.”

“Uhh. Ok, Janice. What made you decide to adopt.”

“Well, you little buttercup. When I get old and senile I want someone to take care of me. Therefore making me need a child.”

“Get the fuck out.”

********************

Joseph POV

Lucy’s chemo is coming in with infusions. Like an IV. She hates needles and screamed and screamed when we tried to inject her. That’s just the first drama. After we got the needle in, she has to sit there for four hours letting the drugs poison her blood. Also she doesn’t like the fact that she has been  puking a lot. My poor baby sister. When the four hours is up, Dr. Simpson comes into the room and lets us go home. In the car home, Lucy falls asleep in my arms.

***************

The 3rd and final family have arrived at our house.

The lady is called Hannah Waiwera. She’s part Maori with long, wavy black hair down her back. She has a pearly white smile and her eyes are an intensely deep brown. Her fiancé is called Leo Prince. Leo is French with a slight accent, brown eyes and black hair.

“It’s lovely to meet you.”  Hannah smiles politely.

“Same here. So what made you guys decide to adopt?”

“Leo and I don’t see the point in childbirth when there are so many children out there that we can adopt. We already have a six year old boy named John and a 11 year old girl named Sasha. We were looking around for a newborn to adopt, when we stumbled across you.” Wow. These people are awesome!

“Wow that’s so cool! So are you looking for a certain sex?” I really think these people could be adopting my baby.

“Nope. Whatever mother nature decides to do, we'll accept. How far along are you?”

“I’m five weeks.” I’m getting more and more exited. They seem really keen to take my baby. And then I remember Ellie. The Waiwera’s can have children but they choose not to. Ellie desperately wants kids. But she can’t. “Well thank you for your time. I think It’s time you two leave.”

***************

Joseph POV

When I get home, Libby’s fast asleep on the couch. Her t-shirts slid up a little and is revealing her stomach. She’s not showing yet and she’s NOT looking forward to when she does. I’m cradling a fast asleep Lucy in my arms so I carry her up to her pink room. As I’m tucking her into bed, she looks right at me.

“Joey. Why am I dying?” She whispers.

“Your not Lucy. Your fine. Your perfect.”

“No I’m not. I’m dying Joey!” Tears start spilling out of her huge eyes.

“Your NOT dying, you hear me?? Your NOT!” I growl fiercely. She’s got me crying now.

“OK, Joey. I love you.”

“Get some sleep.” I muter before snapping off the light. Sitting in the hall, I wipe away my tears before wandering into my room. Libby’s sitting on my bed. Surrounded by candles. “I uh just wanted to say that I changed my mind.” She whispers.

“About what?! The baby?” Believe it or not, I actually want to raise this kid.

“What? No!  I meant about us being together. I want you Joseph.” Then she pulls me down onto the bed.