Chapter 1: Nobela

It felt like it's not too long since I last saw NAIA. I haven't been here for quite some time. To this country, I never thought I will see again.

As I walk past people, while carrying my luggage, and feeling the hot weather, I can't stop myself from wondering about the changes that happened during those three years I wasn't here. 

And thinking those changes somehow creeps me out. 

So I'm not sure if returning here is the right thing to do. Well, I'm never sure of anything in the first place.

A taxi honks as I departed from the airport. I went straight to it.

"Sir Riley?"  the driver asked. 

"Opo." (Yes.) I replied.

"Tara na po. Tulungan ko na po kayo sa gamit niyo sir." (Hop in sir. Let me give you a hand with your things.) he politely said as he opens the trunk of the taxi.

"Thank you po. Dito na lang po sa loob yung iba." (Thank you. Just put some of those here.) I said and then I went in.

Few minutes later, I heard the engine running.

I still remember these places that we pass by and I still recognize the same scenery. 

The streets are still busy. The weather is still the same.

People are still attending to something, talking to someone, working, and living. 

I haven't seen any change so far. It seems like I don't have anything to be afraid of.

Then I heard a familiar song. It's coming from the taxi's radio. The song is called "Nobela" (Novel) by Join The Club. 

"At aalis, magbabalik (Even if I leave, I will come back)
At uuliting sabihin (I won't be tired)
Na mahalin ka't sambitin (In saying I love you)
Kahit muling masaktan (Even if it's painful)
Sa pag-alis (Leaving you)
Ako'y magbabalik (I will come back)
At sana naman..." (So please...)

I hummed a little then went back to my staring game by the car's window.

This song never gets old.

I'm always listening to it when I was overseas. Actually, I never liked music before especially of this genre. But this song just hits differently. And every time I listen to it, it feels like the meaning of it constantly changes.

Right now, I'm looking for its meaning. But I always go back to that very first meaning I thought, the first time I heard it from a special friend of mine.

Before I knew it, the music was gone and the car stopped. The next thing I know is I'm already opening the door in my new apartment. 

It's late in the afternoon when I reached my place. The traffic is still terrible just like before.

I carried my things and brought them inside. 

After closing the door, I removed my jacket, threw it on the floor and laid on the couch. I was really exhausted. 

As I close my eyes, and as my mind went blank, I tried to sleep. I still hear the faint honking sound of cars outside. 

And then what happened next is not what I'm expecting for.

It was a warm early morning. I just finished opening the shop.

"Isang machiato at isang slice ng blueberry cheese cake. Table 15. Dine in" (One machiato and one slice of blueberry cheesecake for table 15. Dine in.) says the note hanging on the counter. 

"Coming up." I whispered as I approach the coffee maker. 

I prepared the ground coffee beans, and checked the water's temperature. 

After prepping the coffee, I took a slice of the cake from the cake stand and put it on the white saucer. 

I just thought of someone while getting the tray. He also likes blueberry cheesecake and I got nervous for a second thinking that this person might be the one who ordered.

No way. It's impossible. I just shook my head and decided to serve the customer.

And then as I come closer, I recognized a familiar face I haven't seen in 3 years.

Oh no. Are you kidding me?

"Ri?", he said with a puzzled expression on his face.

"Jordan...", I quietly said.

"Ikaw na ba talaga yan?" (Is that really you?) Jordan asked.

"Mmmm." I didn't know what to say. 

"Bakit ka umalis nang hindi ka man lang nagpapaalam ha?" (Why didn't you tell me you're leaving then?) Jordan asked with frustration.

For some reasons, words won't come out from my mouth.

He clenched his fist. His expression turned hard.

I know what he's gonna do but I stood still waiting for him to throw that fist on me.

But that look alone is painful. I don't think I need the beating anymore. Those eyes could already kill. 

He's coming closer. He's ready to punch me with all he's got.

I closed my eyes. I'm ready to have it anytime. 

My mind went blank but not because of his strength. 

I felt no pain.

In an instant, the whole scene vanished. Breathing heavily on the couch, I touched my face searching for any bruise but there's nothing.

It was a freaking dream.

As soon as I got back to reality, I heard someone knocking on the door.

I'm still trying to regain my composure and so slowly I walked towards it. I opened the door and with what I saw, I was in awe.