Day 2: Your Least Favorite Song

Day 02 - Your Least Favorite Song

A Little About It: Over the summer, this song was just completely overplayed to the point where I completely hated it.  I’m usually not this harsh, but enough was enough.  I started turning off the radio when I heard it.  It’s not Rihanna’s fault, it’s the radios.  I have nothing against her, so no hate!  Anyways, I find it hard to be inspired by this song so the story mostly came from the repeated chorus, along with the fact that I live in New York and the impact of Hurricane Sandy was unbelievable.  Anyways, I hope you like it.  (This is not a fanfic.)  It's kind of short, but I just kinda wanted to leave it off for you to imagine what would happen :)

PS- If you want to see more of any of the characters in this entire collection of stories, let me know!  I can always make them into full length stories!

We Found Love by Rihanna

“Trigger Lyrics”

(not completely in order)

We found love in a hopeless place

And we're standing side by side

As your shadow crosses mine...

The Story

The mixed chatter throughout the dimly-lit gymnasium rang through my ears causing me a pounding headache.  People were packed in so close to each other that we were almost on top of one another.  Sleeping bags covered every inch of the floor with folding tables lined up against the walls, piled high with bottled water, fruit, and pre-made sandwiches.  Families sat together, some huddling for warmth , others covered head-to-toe in layers of warm fabric.  I sighed dramatically and my breath swirled in front of me, contrasting with the frosty air. The wind of the raging hurricane whipped at the large windows surrounding the gym.  I clinched my eyes together at the thought of the terror that was occurring at this very second.  I thought of my house, empty,lonely, and probably flooded at this point.  They called the collision of three storms Hurricane Sandy.  It spun up the East Coast, finally reaching New York.  I thought about the last 12 hours, being evacuated from my house and forced to be cramped into here, my high school.  I’m at school enough during the week, being sheltered in it is ten times worse.  Babies and children cried as parents tried to quiet them down.  I only wished it was socially acceptable for a 16-year-old to break down crying, but I held myself back.  A shiver creeped down my spine as my teeth chattered uncontrollably, thanks to my mother who forgot to bring blankets.  I spotted my family up waiting on line for sandwiches.  

I sat on the sleeping bag alone with my own thoughts until I felt a light tap on my sweatshirt-covered back.  I turned my head to see who it was, only to find a short-haired brunette staring back at me with open green eyes.  His facial features were soft and inviting and he opened his rose-colored lips to speak.

“Do you need a blanket?” he said, gesturing to the abundance of folded blankets piled high next to him.  “My Mom overpacked,” he said giving a laugh and rolling his eyes.  I nodded.

“Thank you so much for offering,” I said enthusiastically.  Normally, I wouldn’t accept an offer from a stranger so quickly, but I was desperate.  Not to mention he was a particularly handsome stranger.

“No problem!” he said, handing over the plaid fleece blanket.  I quickly draped it over myself and pinched the corners together, holding it on me.  I was eager to feel the warmth of the soft fabric.  The shiver on my spine disappeared and I felt better already.  He flashed me a warm smile that made me feel hotter than the blanket did.  My cheeks flushed with color and I wasn’t sure if it was from his stare or just the chilly air on my face.  “My name’s Jack,” he said, offering a hand.  I shook his hand before responding.

“I’m Abigail,” I said with a smile, tucking an auburn stained strand of hair behind my ear.  “So where are you from?” I said, wondering what other areas of the town were evacuated.  

“The far end of town, near the bookstore,” he said.  “You?”

“Right around there actually, the road right by the private beach,” I said casually.  Jack nods, acknowledging the statement.  I think about the fact that we live so close and probably go to the same school, but only met in a state of emergency, pretty ironic.  A silence settles between the two of us, but the incessant chatter continues in the echoey, headache-inducing, and dimly-lit gym.  “I wish I was home,” I mutter under my breather, fed up with the unfortunate situation.

“Me, too,” he muttered and I raise my eyebrows subtly.   I wasn’t expecting him to hear that.  “We just have to make the best of it.  I guess I’d rather be here if my house gets flooded or something.”  I nod in agreement, I guess he’s right.  “At least now I have someone to talk to.”