chapter three

Remembering that always brought a smile to his face, and now was no different.

He was still on his balcony and could see the sun peeking out from behind the clouds on the horizon.

People had started their activities for the day. Some were running and jogging, others were taking their kids to school while talking to them. They were either smiling or laughing. He felt a pang in his chest.

He could say it was not fair but he knew better.

It was his fault. He couldn't blame anyone else for his mistakes. He wasn't  that  kind of person.

He made mistakes and now he was paying for them.

Another cigarette finished, he walked into the house. He wanted and needed to lie down for a bit after being up all night.

The television was on, tuned to some channel he did not know. He barely watched anything there and had bought it for his son.

A sigh involuntary left his mouth. How he missed the boy. He still had two weeks before he saw him.

He switched it off.

Walking to his room, he passed by Philip's room.

He opened it and was met by the scent of  the young one. He went in and sat at the bed in one corner of the room. It smelt like him, as did everything else in the room.

He looked at the photo next to the bed. It was of him, Lauren and philip in hawaii four years ago.

Back then, he had been genuinly happy and was smiling. With his son, he never cared about anythimg or anyone else. All his fears, worries and insecurities would always dissipate. It was always them against the world.

A lone tear escaped his eye.

Why?

He had ruined it all.

Flashback....

"Daddy, are we really going to hawaii?" An excited Philip asked his dad.

"Of course we are. I know how much you wanted to go during tje midterm." Eric said.

"Thank you daddy. I'm going to pack."

The boy ran out of the room, sqealimg and beaming with happiness.

"Babe you don't have to do this." Lauren said as she came out the bathroom.

"Honey, we talked about this. I'll come because I haven't spent quality time with you and philip. Now, finish getting ready we are heading to the airport in two hours." He said and kissed her on the cheek.

They had arrived almost three weeks ago and it was about time for them to head back. Eric had one more thing to do before leaving.

He had planned it before hand.

That evening, they left philip with the other kids and a sitter. He led Lauren to a secluded spot on the beach which he had discovered a few years back.

There was a rock which made it a bit more private as one could not see behind it from afar .

As he had requested, there was a picnic blanket laid on the sand, with a bottle of champagne and two glasses. He helped her sit then took out a small box and opened it.

She gaped.

"You didn't have to," she said.

He looked at her and said,

"This is my promise to you that I will change. I want us to stop all this fighting. I want us to try to be better from now on."

She didn't talk. She just nodded.

He took out  the ring and slid it into her finger.

Then, doves were released and he kissed her.
(I had to😂😂😅)

That evening , they made love on the beach with  the promise of new beginnings.

End of flashback....

He had promised her but he broke his promise.

Like always.

Another tear left his eyes and he slept on his son's bed while holding on to the picture.

The reminder of broken promises.

over the edge|✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara