The Shopwoman

Mulai dari awal

"I don't know. Just guessing. I can't read minds, so of course, I'm wrong, I never not wrong. I like doing the wrong things anyway."

The moment he said his favorite line, I like doing the wrong things, reminded me of our conversation when he seduced me in his study, one day before we get married. He was still a playboy back then, and apparently at this moment, still a playboy.

The car pulled over in front of the store where I work.

"Well, I will take my workmate's offer to replace her tomorrow, so I would double shift. No need to pick me up in the middle of the day or later at night. Go have fun with Rachel, Charlene, or anyone from your bloody phone!" I spat, then got out of the car.

I could hear him shouting my name but pretended not to hear that. From the storefront's reflection, I saw his car quickly took the parking spot nearby and he got out of the car. I quickly got inside, and a half run entering the stockroom hiding from him.

I took off my coat and kept my handbag in the locker. I was fixing up my make up when suddenly the stockroom door was opened.

"Yejin, I need you to be quick, the store is crowded. Some guests just came and unassisted," my store manager.

"Yes, Ma'am."

Good, the store was crowded so I can divert my attention to work. I was helping a teenager looking for her first bra when I overhear a conversation between two behind me. One of them was the new trainee girl on her second-day work, and the other was a man with a voice I was very familiar with.

"Ma'am, I'm looking for something like this, what do you call this? Lingeries? But with more laces, and maybe you have one with less fabric? It's too long."

"Oh, we call it nightie, Sir. Does your woman have a slightly small figure?"

"Yes, hmmm...I don't mean to be impolite, but, exactly like her, yeah, the shopkeeper with the brunette hair."

"Oh, please wait for a moment, Sir."

That day, I was the only shopkeeper with brunette hair, and my store manager was brunette too, but she didn't wear a uniform and didn't look like a shopkeeper.

"Yejin, can you help me, please take over that customer, I still don't know much about our nightie collections in the stockroom, and he is going to buy one for his partner who has a similar figure as you! Let me take over yours the teenage girl," the trainee girl came to me and begged to switch customers.

"Ugh, wouldn't that be offensive? He will picture his partner's body by looking at me."

"I don't think so. Don't take it that way! He is just a customer who happens to be a man. Please, Yejin..."

"No."

"Come on, the store manager is looking at us now. This is my second day and I can't lose this job!"

"Such a troublesome you are!"

"I will cover one of your shift, any day!"

Oh, tempting.

"Okay."

I put on my poker face and walked approaching that male customer after selecting some nighties on my size.

"These are our nightie collections, Sir," I avoided his gaze and focused on the articles displayed on the table.

"Hmm...do you have something with less fabric? Skimpier one."

"Unfortunately, no. These are our best sellers."

"Which one is the best seller?"

"This one," I pointed at the red one.