Chapter 15

When I woke in the morning, Jack was no longer next to me. I sat up and looked around his room to find that he wasn't there. I put my hand up to my head as I started to feel a dull throbbing coming from deep in my skull. I definitely drank too much.

I stood up and went into the bathroom, grabbing some ibuprofen to soothe my headache. Then, I trudged down the stairs in search of some food or Jack; I didn't really care which. When I got down there, I saw Jack sipping some coffee on the couch while watching TV. He turned to look at me when he heard me arrive, then sprang up.

"Oh, good, you're up. How are you?" he asked.

"Not super great..."

"Do you want some coffee?"

"Yeah sure."

I followed him out to the kitchen while he poured me a cup.

"Sooo, we need to talk," I said as he handed me my coffee with added sugar and cream.

"Yeah. Um before we do that and things get awkward, I just wanna let you know I keep this list on the fridge for groceries, so anything you need or want just put on there and it'll get taken care of. And don't worry about cost or anything," he scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"Oh, wow. Thanks."

"Do you wanna sit on the couch?"

"Sure."

We both made our way to the couch. Jack resumed his show quietly for ambiance, then turned towards me. We both stared at each other, sipping our coffee.

"Whenever you're ready," I nudged.

"Right. I..." he sighed, "I didn't want to tell you this yet, but it seems I don't have much of a choice. Yes, a lot of people here last night had their kidneys removed by me because that's part of my job. I remove kidneys and sell them on the black market," he told me reluctantly.

I had no idea what to say. I mean what do you say to that? I stared at him, speechless, then took another sip of coffee in an attempt to process what he just told me.

"Wha- I mean... why?" I finally responded.

"It's complicated. I made a deal with someone many years ago."

"With who?? The mafia?"

"No, but might as well be," he chuckled as he took another drink.

"So, do you just not feel bad? And how do you get people to do it?"

"I know you must have a lot of questions, but I can't answer that yet."

I was frustrated by all the secrecy in my life. I felt like people kept lying to me, which I should've been used to as a new lawyer, but Jack of all people was usually so honest. I felt this anger burning inside me that I couldn't control. I felt like I was going to explode.

Suddenly, my coffee mug got extremely hot.

"Gahh," I yelled as I set it down quickly and shook my hands out.

"What happened?" he asked, puzzled.

"I don't know.... the coffee burned me."

"It shouldn't have been that hot," he said, leaning forward to touch the mug himself.

I shrugged it off, focusing on the bigger task at hand. He caught my gaze and sighed, setting his coffee down.

He put a hand on either side of my face and made me look at him.

"I hope what I've told you doesn't change your opinion of me, but if it does, I understand. I just need you to trust me."

I contemplated heavily, but sighed giving in. That damn British accent made him even sweeter as well.