Chapter 9

I chased Jack down the sidewalk. I could tell he was a great runner, but he was going slower for me. I jumped on his back, intending on tackling him, but instead he just caught me for a piggyback ride.

"Hey! You were supposed to fall down!" I yelled.

"Right. Sorry." He then proceeded to dramatically kneel on the ground, pretending that I successfully tackled him. I giggled at the thought of me moving his strong build.

He smiled and stood up again, giving me a ride back to my house. He put me down in my living room, crouching a little so I didn't have to jump far.

"Thank you, kind sir." I curtseyed before him, speaking in a strange, old-English accent.

"Why of course, m'lady." He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it. I chuckled and smiled as he released my hand. I wandered downstairs to grab a sweatshirt and finally end my coldness.

I got down there and looked at all of Caden's stuff that he kept at my house. I bit my lip and rubbed my arm nervously. I felt Jack's presence, but I didn't acknowledge it. I sat down on my bed and played with the sleeve of one of Caden's hoodies that was laid on my bed. I felt the mattress dip a little as Jack sat next to me, watching me silently.

"How are you doing, Love?" he asked sincerely.

"Not good, Jack." I was fighting to hold tears in, so I looked at the wall.

"Hey," he touched my arm gently to make me look at him, "you don't have to hide tears around me. Ever."

I nodded and let them start flowing. He pulled me into his warm embrace and let me get my emotions out. My heart was aching and I wasn't sure what I would do. I certainly wasn't perfectly happy with Caden, but he knew me better than anyone and we spent so much of our lives together.

"I miss him."

"I know." He pet my hair and waited for me to share more with him.

"I can't just stop loving him after three years. We spent so much time together. And look at my house. His stuff's all over. I don't know what I'm supposed to do now," I sobbed into his chest.

"I'm so sorry. I promise you won't feel like this forever."

I shook my head, not thinking clearly. "No. I can't do it, I can't. What am I supposed to do?" I sobbed hysterically, eventually not forming words anymore.

"Hey, Y/N. Calm down." I shook my head at his response, but I knew I needed to calm down. I was having some sort of breakdown, and it wasn't good for me at all.

"Look at me, okay?" he pleaded. I nodded and forced myself to look at his face. He was very blurry through my ocean of tears, but I was desperate to stop my meltdown.

"Good. Now breath in and out deeply. Do it with me." His hand was resting on my neck and he guided me through breathing. I wasn't as good at it as he was, but I was trying. I was slowly feeling less horrible. We kept doing it until I was pretty mellow and there weren't very many tears left.

"Good. I'll always be here if you need someone to cry on, but I don't want to see you get that worked up. I don't want you to hurt yourself," he told me as he rubbed my neck with his thumb. It was subtle, and I don't think he realized he was doing it.

I nodded in agreement and he hugged me again. I closed my eyes momentarily, ignoring everything else and only paying attention to the feeling of his arms around me.

"What should I do?" I finally asked rather monotonously.

"I think.... I think you should try to fix your relationship with him."