e l e v e n

farah sat in the kitchen, alongside izzie and george, with their heads slightly tilted

farah sat in the kitchen, alongside izzie and george, with their heads slightly tilted. the trio watched as meredith's latest one night stand was cooking breakfast and making coffee for everyone.
"i think he's a keeper," izzie stated, farah was still watching in shock, but managed to nod her head. "he's better than the one that ran off crying because she told him to leave," george remarked, giving a shrug as the two girls nodded in agreement.

meredith then came down the stairs, seeing the guy in the kitchen. he turned around, looking like a deer in headlights before he bolted out the door. izzie, george and farah then started laughing. "at least he made breakfast," farah stated with a shrug, leaning across the counter to grab a piece of bacon. "bonus," izzie remarked. "none of my one night stands have ever done that." farah thoughtfully stated. izzie turned to farah, "same, did we get the smaller end of the stick?" izzie questioned, farah nodded before the two girls begin laughing.

farah and meredith walked side by side when they met the two shepherds inside the elevator. both addison and farah shared a look when they picked up on the awkwardness between meredith and derek. "so what's... i mean, is something going on?" addison questioned. "no," both meredith and derek replied sharply. "did you guys fight or something?" addison then questioned, "no," they both replied in sync again. farah begin to laugh, causing the others inside the elevator to look at the intern strangely. she then tried to cover it up with a cough. "that was too much of a mark move." meredith remarked, acting as if she was shaking her head in disappointment. when the elevator reached its destination, both meredith and derek started different directions. "that was extremely odd," farah commented towards Addison as she exited the elevator as well.

farah came across izzie stevens, sitting across from denny duquette. being one of izzie's best friends, though she was no george o'malley, she understood that there was something more than patient-doctor relation happening. farah continued forwards, when she got a page from dr burke. farah darted up to the helicopter pad, seeing a helicopter. "hey, dr burke, i got your page?" she questioned. "miller, you, karev and me are going to get a heart transplant." burke explained. farah nodded, climbing into the helicopter.

"so who is the lucky patient?" alex questioned. "denny duquette." burke replied. farah smiled brightly, she liked denny plus she always wanted the best outcome for the patient. "that's great." she then looked at alex, who looked sick.

after arriving at the hospital of mercy west, burke, karev and farah walked side by side down the hallway as burke was talking to a doctor from mercy west. "two brothers tried to pass a semi on a double yellow and came out losing end of a head-on. both are a match for your guy." the doctor explained.  "do we get our pick?" alex questioned. "it doesn't work quite like that, unos has already assigned who gets which donor." burke answered. "so, who is retrieving the other heart?" farah questioned. farah then looked from burke to the women ahead, she had semi long blonde hair, blue eyes and tight lips with a sharp look across her features.

her eyes landed on burke, "took you long enough, preston. why are the juniors here? is your ego getting too big for you to carry?" the doctor remarked towards burke, burke's face hardened- he didn't seem impressed by the blonde doctor. "dr. hahn here graduated second in our class at john hopkins, miller. ask her who graduated first." burke replied. dr hahn rolled her eyes, "god." she muttered.

when the trio entered the o.r, they saw their donor flatlining. "what the hell happened to my donor?" burke questioned. "he went into v-fib." the doctor replied. "i can see that. give me paddles! miller, take over compressions!" burke demanded. farah begin to follow through with compressions then looked over at the doctor, "you gave epi?" she questioned. "three rounds and shocked him twice." the doctor then replied. "i'm going to shock him again at 360. clear! he's asystolic." burke informed.

"i don't get it... i mean, if the guy is already dead.." karev started. "and now, his heart has joined the rest of him." burke replied. "so we can't use it?" karev then questioned again. "no, alex, we can't use it. the muscle is dead, therefore the heart is useless." farah explained, causing burke to give her a weird look- probably because he wanted to answer. burke then turned and ran out of the room. alex and farah shared a look of confusion before chasing after the head of cardio. "dr. burke?" farah questioned, her and alex running beside each other just centimetres begins the surgeon. "move, move, move, move!" burke yelled as he opened the door to dr. hahn's o.r. "stop right there! do not move that scalpel! not a single slice!" burke ordered.

"just because your donor's heart died doesn't mean i have to give you mine." dr hahn harshly replied. burke kept his ground with the other surgeon, "is your patient higher on the transplant list?" burke questioned. dr hahn appeared annoyed by burke's question, "i have no idea." she simply replied. "well, neither do i. karev, get u.n.o.s on the phone, now." burke demanded. dr hahn rolled her eyes, farah scoffed at her arrogance. dr hahn raised a brown at the brunette, "got a problem, junior?" dr hahn questioned. "dr hahn, i believe you should be more considerate of the lives of more than just your patient, this heart could really help someone, someone in a worse condition than your patient." farah replied, burke trying to hide a smirk. "dr miller, i believe you are only an intern so, keep your opinions to yourself." dr hahn replied, beginning to pick up a scalpel. "hey! hey!" burke yelled. "what? are you going to beat me up?" dr hahn challenged. farah now piped up, "if it comes to that, i'm happy to volunteer." farah replied, giving a shrug.

dr hahn decided to ignore farah, "your guy is on an lvad? he's probably up and walking around. my guy still needs his dobutamine drip." dr hahn argues. burke scoffed, "that's the best you can do? he can climb mount shasta on a dobutamine drip." burke replied. karev placed the phone on speaker, "as of this morning, dr hahn's patient was 22 hundredths if a point ahead." the man over the phone informed. "that is basically a tie," burke argued. "except that dr hahn's patient was admitted into the transplant program before mr. duquette." the man over the phone added. "how long before?" farah piped up. "17 seconds," the man told them. "17 seconds..." burke mumbled.

eventually, with izzie's evidence of denny's condition worsening, the heart was handed over to seattle grace. dr burke and dr miller walked side by side, when a gun man appeared. they had left karev to watch dr hahn whilst preston and farah returned to seattle grace and double check denny's case. farah suddenly remembered the huge trauma the hospital had faced from a shooting. suddenly, the gun was aimed at her but burke pushed the girl out of the way- receiving a shot to the arm. "burke!" farah yelled out, watching as the the gun man ran off into the distance. once she came out of the shock, she kneeled down and begin to apply pressure to burke's shoulder. "stay with me burke!" she screamed at him. she then pulled her phone out of her scrub pant pocket, dialling the first doctor that appeared in her contact list.

"hello?"