Erik once taught Ylva when someone in their family was born, the Gods flipped a coin. One side meant they were destined for greatness while the other meant madness.

While their father's and Erik's had landed on madness, Ylva's had been greatness. No one really knew which side the coin had flipped on when it came to Sihtric. He was so much different than the rest of their family. He was kind, loyal, and as much as he was a skilled warrior, he wasn't all that interested in having a life filled with raiding and fighting in battles, unlike Ylva.

If he had the choice, he would most likely choose a quiet life with a woman he loved and some children to raise.

It was matters like that that made their father always question whether or not Sihtric was even his. Ylva knew that it was one of the main reasons why when she was born a girl that her father killed her mother. He thought the Gods were punishing them because of her infidelity.

While Ylva was indeed her father's daughter, many questioned if Sihtric was truly his father's son. He was nothing like him or any other man born into the family.

Ylva didn't care, though. She never brought it up because she didn't care. It didn't matter if they actually did have different fathers, Sihtric was and always would be her brother, no matter what.

____

A day had passed and after returning from a hunt, Ylva entered the Great Hall to find her people cheering for her. She entered alongside Sihtric, stopping when she was standing in front of Freya.

"Freya," She greeted the girl, who she viewed to practically be a daughter to her.

Freya's expression remained unreadable as she bowed her head as a form of greeting the woman.

Ylva sighed and exchanged a look with Sihtric, knowing the reason for Freya's coldness toward her was because she wanted to go to England, but now thanks to Ylva and Sihtric, she couldn't.

Ylva walked through and entered a private room, where she and Sihtric sat to talk in private. "Will you come to Wessex with me, brother?" She asked him curiously as she held her hands over the fire in the middle of the room to keep warm.

"No," Sihtric answered, causing Ylva to give him a confused look.

"Why not?" She asked, not seeing any reason why he wouldn't want to go, "Don't you want to win renown, as I have?"

"Of course, I do. But if the past has proven anything, someone must remain here and look after all your territories. Not to mention, look after Freya, who always seems to be getting into trouble," Sihtric explained in a calm tone, "I hope you trust me to do this."

"You're my brother. Of course, I do," Ylva replied without hesitation, causing them both to smile, "Throughout our entire lives, I dare say you are the only one I've ever truly trusted no matter what. You have always been by my side and I may not say it often, but I love you, Sihtric, and I could not do any of this without you."

"I'm sure you could have. You're the strongest person I know," Sihtric told his sister, who playfully rolled her eyes.

"Did I tell you I have received another offer of marriage?" She asked him as she stood up and smiled in amusement, "Some man named Magnus up north."

"A pity for him," Sihtric commented, a smile forming on his lips, "You're already spoken for by Bjorn."

"It would seem many don't know that," She replied as she poured them both a glass of mead before she handed him one.

"I don't know how. It seems every other day, Bjorn comes all the way here to see you or you're traveling to Kattegat to see him," Sihtric explained as Ylva sat back down in her seat across from him.