Chapter 3 |Good Bad and Ugly|

{2 months later-November 4, 2017- Belmont Park}

~7:30am~

It took a lot of my money to get Sentient Jet Juvenile since Fury hasn't raced since his Maiden, but we got him entered. I check my watch one more time as I wait for Fury come back from his workout. I had a bucket of suds at my feet and a hose in my right hand.

"You missed it boss!" John practically screams cheerfully.

"What now?" I say turning on the hose as Fury and John got closer.

"He ran 5F in 45 seconds flat!"

"Breezing?"

"I don't know. I thought Cameron said to breeze him, but I'm not sure."

I shake my head in disbelief and begin to wash down Fury starting at his feet like you are supposed to,

"You okay boss?" John says in disbelief.

I glance at him, "Yeah, why?"

"You never clean the horses. You say 'I'll get wet' or 'those animals.'"

"Really?"

"Uh, yeah, you have been acting strange ever since Fury came into your life. He has brought a side out of you I thought I would never see."

I chuckle lightly, "Really, well I most have been horrid before he came into our lives."

I see John smiling, "You have no idea how many times I walked up to those enormous doors to your house, went to beng the knocks, but turned around before grabbing them. I would shake my head and go see Debutant to calm myself."

"Well, I need to go thank Debutant because I have no idea what I would have done without you."

"Yeah, this is random, but she was an amazing racer. I can't believe she broke her leg. Everyone said she was the next Zenyatta."

"Well, that leg break may have kept her from the Classic, but it didn't take her precious and cherished life."

"Very true, sir, very true."

"Now, Johnny."

"Yes, sir?"

"PICK UP THAT RAG AND HELP ME!"

John looked very taken back, "Right away, sir."

I laugh, "I was just messing with you!" I slap my soapy hand on his back covering it with white suds.

"You got me good!"

"Yes, I did, but you can still help." I say smiling.

" I would gladly help. Gotta make him a pretty boy for his big race!" He said scratching Fury's ears.

"You're saying he isn't pretty?"

"No! I mean he needs to be even more fancy for his race." John said in a frenzy.

"It's okay, John. I know what you mean.

~2:25- 15 minutes till post~

"Are you ever not nervous before a race?" John says patting my back.

"Can't you see why I am?" I say.

"I actually can." He says nodding his head.

"Big day, boss." Cameron says walking over to stand next to me.

"Yes, a very big day indeed." I say nodding my head with my eyes fixed on Fury whose muscles stood out like a red spot on a white shirt. He looked to be flexing them.

Tommy came out of the jockey's room.

"A little late." Cameron says not even looking at Tommy. I elbow him in the rib cage.

"Sorry, Cameron. A reporter stopped me for an interview." Tommy said.

"It's okay, Tommy. Cameron is just very tense." I say with a smile.

"Looks like you two swapped." Tommy says sarcastically as he shakes my hand.

"Riders Up!"

I give Tommy a leg up onto the great beast.

"Stay safe out there." I say.

"I will." He says as John leads Fury away.

*Tommy's POV*

Got Gold and his jockey Madison quickly started trouble. Fury attempted to bite Got Gold but I kept Him from doing so.

Fury was last to be loaded in the gate. He just happened to be #6 when Got Gold is #7. They both through fits in the gate. The split moment they were calm the bell rang and the gates swung open. I figured Got Gold and Fury would fight for the lead coming out of the gate, but I didn't see Madison and Got Gold's move coming. They broke in and caused Fury to trip. Soon Got Gold was 5 lengths in the lead, and Fury was at the back of the pack.

"shoot." I say.

Fury wasn't the same. He was laboring. The pack got further and further ahead of us. I started to lose hope. When we started to enter the final turn Fury stepped up his game. He started surging and was getting faster and faster.

"That's it boy. Let's go!" I yell.

Entering the homestretch we were 2 lengths behind Got Gold. It was my last resort, but I whip Fury once. He took it away after that. Within moments Fury was staring Got Gold in the eyes. Fury started breaking away, and we crossed the wire.

As we slowed down our horses, Madison gave me evil eyes.

"Good job, Madison. You may not have won, but you sure know how to tire a horse." I say with a smirk.

She just rolled her eyes.

I led Fury to the winner's circle.

When we got there, Will grabbed the reins.

"Tommy, you can't mess with me like that!" He said smiling.

"Sorry, sir." I say sarcastically.

The blanket of yellow and purple Beauty Asters, Golden Asters, Cremons and Catteleya Orchids was placed over my legs and onto Fury's back. I took a handful of flowers, like most jockey's do, and threw them into the air. We went into the winner's circle where I dismounted. I followed Will over to the platform where we would accept the Breeder's Cup trophy.

After being interviewed and all the pictures were taken, I walked back to the jockey room where I would hangout until my ride in the Classic. Someone grabbed my arm from behind. I turn quickly.

"You think you are all that! Wait till the derby Bahama. Got Gold is going to take your puny little colt down. He has just gotten lucky these last two races, and what was that after the race?" Madison spits at me.

"You're just jealous because you are not on the best two year old colt. If I recall correctly Mr. William D. Katey, who is my boss, went to you first, but you turned him down because you said his colt wouldn't make it in his maiden. You also said you were trying to get a mount on a soon to be champion colt who was by Goldencents. Who is on the champion colt now? Obviously, not you. The only races your mount has won is his first two races before Night Fury came into the picture. Night Fury is real competition, and, obviously, until Fury came along he didn't go against real competition." I say proud.

Madison looked furious. She grabs the collar of my silks and slams me against the wall, "Aren't you going to hit me or push me?"

"I was raised to not hit girls, even if they are big bullies with a big ego and hurt pride." I spit.

"Watch it," She snaps, "See you in the Derby." She lets go of my collar, flips her hair, and walks away.

I walk to the jockey room like it never even happened.