Chapter 22|Eclipse Awards|

A/n: Ok guys here is a pun that I wanted to share haha-

Person: Hey Dark Intentions, got any gold?

Dark Intentions: "no gold is too fast. I couldn't keep up. It ran away from me by 25 lengths." 

We stayed at Gulfstream until we had to fly to Santa Anita for the Eclipse Awards. Got Gold was nominated for Horse of the Year and Champion three year old colt. He was called "The Alydar Who Turned Into Secretariat" ever since the Breeder's Cup Classic. No one talked about Chelsea anymore. It was all Got Gold. Many said how much Got Gold deserves Horse of the Year, and I hoped tonight, we would walk away with it. If we get one, or if we get none, all that matters is I have Got Gold, and the best team anyone could ever ask for. 

We sit down and the awards start. This year, all everyone cared about was the three year old awards and horse of the year. 

"The first Three Year Award will be for the fillies, and the nominees for Champion Three Year Old Filly are..."

The video with the nominees played. I saw the Queen Chelsea, Princess Adeline, and Royal Astronomy. Everyone knew who would win. 

"And the winner is..." They paused which I didn't think was necessary. The winner was obvious. "Chelsea Grace!"

I clapped as Jaylee, Barbara, and some of Stonestreet's Staff went on stage to accept the award. Barbra said a few words and exited the stage with everyone else who walked up with her. 

Champion Three Year Old Colt was next. This award obliviously was going to Got Gold. 

The video played featuring Got Gold, Dark Intentions, and King Alexander.

"Champion Three Year Old Colt goes too..." Again, the unnecessary pause. "Winner of the Jockey Club Gold Cup and the Breeder's Cup Classic by 25 lengths, Got Gold!" 

Cameron, Madison, Odi, and I all stood to our feet and walked to the stage to accept the award. 

"It is a honor to have a colt like Mud Pie. He is truly a blessing, He never fails to impress me and bring a smile to my and the whole team's face. After his record shattering win at Gulfstream, things have never been the same. Thank you so much to all of Mud Pie's incredible fans out there. We have no idea what we would do without you guys!" I say and we head back to our seats. 

Now, Horse of the Year. 

"And here we are, Horse of the Year. I can tell all of you, our voters had a heck of a time voting for your highest honor, and I agree with their choice for Horse of the Year right here."

This was tough. Mud Pie, the second horse to finish second in all three Triple Crown races, beautiful in the Jockey Gold Cup, and a Secretariat/ Citation run in the Classic. On the other hand there is Chelsea Grace. The queen who never fails to impress. I knew who this award was going to. 

The video played featuring Got Gold at the Classic and Jockey Club Gold Cup, Chelsea Grace at the Kentucky Derby and Breeder's Cup Distaff, and Dark Intentions at Haskell and Travers. 

"And Your Horse of the Year is..."

No one knew who this was. They waited even longer knowing how much we cried for the winner. 

"Kentucky Derby and Preakness Champion, Chelsea Grace!"

The room went haywire. I stood in partial shock but half not surprised. Everyone loved the Queen Chelsea. I clapped, but unlike many, I did not stand. Barbara said a few more words, but I was too zoned out and didn't hear her. Half of me was angry, the other half was happy for them. I knew Got Gold would always be the Prince who would never be King because of the Queen's shadow on him.