Chapter 2 |The Night Fury|

{1 year later}

I quickly stop the stop watch the I had in my right hand.

"55.48" Cameron says.

"5 furlongs in 55.48 seconds... thoughts?" I say.

"Will, he is ready."

{1 week later Gulfstream Park, race day- August 12, 2017}

We entered our big black colt, his name was Night Fury, into race 5 which was 6 1/2 furlongs on a Saturday that turned out to be very hot. I walked over to our tacking stall to see how Fury was looking.

"How is he, Grace?" I say. Grace was one of the track vets.

"Very VERY good, sir." She says rubbing Fury on the shoulder.

Fury earned his name. He got his name, one, because I liked it and, two, because he was known for his meanest. He attacked one of our grooms when she went to feed him one night. She said all she saw was his teeth because he blended so much with the darkness. Grace was the only track vet that could get near him.

I calp my hands together, and Fury grunted.

RIght before we began to walk Fury around in the paddock, Cameron felt Fury's legs one more time.

"All good." He said, and John, one of our grooms, led Fury into the paddock.

Fury was ready. I could tell by the way he was acting.

"Rider up!"

I gave our jockey Tommy Baker a leg up onto Fury.

John led Fury to the track for post time where he would just let him go because Fury would not lead anyone lead him to the starting gate.

I follow Cameron and John to the owner's box.

My wife didn't want to come today, one, because she wasn't feeling well. So she just stayed home with the kids.

I took a seat and whipped my sweaty hands on my pants.

"He will be fine." John assured me.

I reluctantly nodded my head. Watching Fury prance on the track was like sending your first kid to college.

*Tommy's POV*

Fury felt uneasy below me. I rubbed his mane to keep him calm, but it barely helped. We made our way to the starting gate. I looked to my right to see the favored in this race. He was a humongous bay by Goldencents and out of Got Lucky. His name was Got Gold.

Fury pinned his ears and crow hopped.

Got Gold was loaded into the gate. Now Fury was the only one left to be loaded in other than a smallish chestnut colt named Stopthatcat who was by Wildcat Red and out of Stopshoppingdebbie. Fury and Stopthatcat were loaded in the gate at almost the same time.

It became the calm before the storm. Then only thing you heard was the heavy breath of the horses and there riders and horses pawing at the ground.

ring

Fury shot out of the gate like a fire cracker, but Got Gold quickly charge at us. Exactly what I didn't want to happen was happening. Fury was the pace setter. I new that I would just have to go with it and hope the colt wouldn't tire. I tried to hold him back slightly, but the colt just got faster and faster.

"Easy boy, easy." I whisper.

I check to see where Got Gold was and had to take a second glance when I didn't see him next to me. I looked behind me to see him at least 7 lengths behind me, and Fury was getting faster and faster. We entered the final turn and I changed his lead. After that, I hand rode him to the wire, and blinding cameras had to have taken hundreds of pictures. All I could do was smile. I slowed Fury and stood in the stirrups.

"NIGHT FURY ROMPS TO WIN BY 15 LENGTHS AND SETS A NEW TRACK RECORD FOR 6F AND UP OF 1:15!"

I give Fury a big pat on the neck. I led him to the winners circle and saw Will running onto the track smiling ear to ear.

"AMAZING RUN OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE SUCH AN AMAZING HORSE!" He says so excited.

"Amazing job, Tommy." Cam says slapping my thigh.

I dismount in the winner's circle. We all smiled for the cameras. After I hugged everyone I weighed myself and walked back to the jockeys room.

"Hey, Tommy Bahama!" Got Gold's jockey Madison Kuzio says.

I just shake my head and ignore her.