Chapter 17|The Not So Underdog|

I was back in pre-school. The big bully with the tough homelife stomps over and takes my toy, the toy I brought to school, and breaks it infront of me. Death was, now, the bully and Fury was my toy.

It had been a month since the passing of Fury. Death stole the night one month ago. It stole the best horse I could ever ask for and everything else I had.

My family was a joke. My exwife soon moved back to England with the kids, and I never heard from her again. I only had Mud Pie now. He was the only thing I didn't lose. My homestead was sold and I only kept what I could save which where cloths and need to toiletries. I lived in a stable office and slept on a mattress. Belmont was our home now. The focus was on Mud Pie so I saw Cameron a lot more.

We entered Mud Pie in the Jockey Gold Cup. If he won, he would be off to the Breeder's Cup. I rarely watch any of his workouts. He didn't mean as much as Fury did. I never connected to him. The world did.

Many were saddened by Fury's death, but his death didn't spread through the horse racing world extremely fast, but it did. Depression was the only thing I knew after his death.

You could find me making bets at the bar at Belmont every day after Fury's death.

"Hey, Will."

I sit up from my mat to see Cameron at his desk in the office.

"Yes"

"Please come watch this one workout. Just this one. The Jockey Gold Cup is one week away
and this is his last workout before he races. Please come."

I sigh, "fine."

I get up and follow Cameron to the track where we waited for Mud Pie. He pranced onto the track under Odi.

John was taking a break. Fury's death hit him hard as it hit me. He would sometimes hang out at the bar with me. He needed some time, and I understood.

"7 furlong pole, Odi" Cameron called out.

Odi nods his head and I watch him trot Mud Pie to the 7F pole where he let him loose.

Mud Pie excelled with tremendous velocity. As he came around, I saw the detail and definition of the big bay's muscles. His ears were pricked forward as if he were walking to a fresh patch of grass. The sun shined on his glossy coat. He looked like a horse fit for a king.

I watched in awe of the stallion who seemed unstoppable. What if he was born one year earlier or one year later? Would he have won the Triple Crown?

Cameron hit the stop watch and looked at it, "1:05.45"

I grin, "I'm glad I watched this workout."

Cameron plays with the stop watch.

"What?" I say. I could sense something was on his mind.

"He does his best for you."

"What do you mean."

"Ever since you bought him he has been trying to win you heart. He has been trying to impress you from the start. I've never seen a horse try so hard when his owner is around. I don't know why you don't like him. Never seen a horse so dedicated to making someone happy even though he knows his owner will never be happy with him." He says staring at the ground.

This hits me hard. I take a step or two back.

"Never did I see Fury try to prove himself like Mud Pie. Mud Pie loves his job and always tries his best. Fury was lazy. The horse that got all the attention but did half of the one who barely gets a good pat from his owner. that's why I spent more time with Mud Pie and seemed to 'love him more' because if I didn't, who would other than Odi? He knows his buddy is gone. I can tell. He has been more depressed lately. He misses Fury by all means. He hangs is head now and barely pricks his ears. Today was the first time in a week I've seen those ears prick. And they pricked when he saw you. He began to prance when he saw you. He becomes happy when you see you, even though you never return the love or happiness." Cameron finishes. He taps the stop watch on the rail and walks away.

He was right. I never have actually cared about Mud Pie, but he cared about me.