Chapter 11|Churchill to Pimlico|

May 6, 2018

We decided to leave Chruchill the day after the Derby. We had no time to lose. 

Got Gold and Fury were loaded into their cargo stalls and loaded on the plane at 7:15 am. My plane left at 7:30. I watch them be loaded in. Then, I go to board my plane. 

It took A LOT of convincing from Cam after the Derby to get me to enter Fury into the Preakness. He said that it wasn't his day. That he would have a better day then that, hopefully.

I sat on the same row as Cam and Tommy. My wife, Madison, and John sat on the same row. Then, Jerome, Odi, and Daniel sat on the same row. My kids stayed home with Ms. Alexandra. We didn't want to tote  and drag them around everywhere. 

Ever since the Derby, Madison did a complete turn around. I asked Tommy if he knew anything and he just made a face and and looked down. Whatever happened, I am glad it did! Madison was more respectful and seemed to have brought the kind sweet side out of her. Got Gold was the only thing that could do that, but now, it's almost natural to her. 

"Ready for the Preakness?" I ask Tommy.

"Yeah, if it's better then the Derby." He says as if it were obvious.

"Yeah, that was a rough ride."

"Oh, it was more than rough. I have no idea how Fury held up like he did! That horse is amazing. He deserved the Triple Crown, but I will MAKE SURE I bring home the gold from now on!" Tommy says getting louder and louder. Once he realized how loud he was, he shrunk back down. 

I chuckle, "Got a little out of hand?"

"Maybe." He says with a big smile.

*  *  *

When we landed in Baltimore, Fury and Mud Pie were already there waiting for us. Cam and Elizabeth rented a car and everyone split up into two groups for each car. I rode in the rig that would take Fury, Mud Pie, and a few other horses to Pimlico. 

When we got to Pimlico, we got settled in, and decided to only work Mud Pie and Fury twice before the Preakness. We would work them out the week before and breeze them the day of the Preakness

*  *  *

One week before the Preakness- 6:30 am

I get up a little later than usual and rush to the barn. When I got there, Fury and Mud Pie were already tacked up were ready for their workout. 

“I thought you would want to be here; therefore we decided to wait.” Cam says.

“Why, thank you, kind sir.” I say grabbing my stop watch off the hook. 

“Why, are you so proper?” Cam says shaking his head.

“And, why, are you not?”

He grins and shakes his head, “Let’s go we have work to do.” 

John and Odi lead the horses to the track, and Cam and I follow close behind.

“How many furlong or what pole?” Odi says lengthening Mud Pie’s stirrups. 

“6 furlong pole.” Cam says leaning against the rail.

“Got it.” Odi says.

I give John a leg up onto Fury, and Cam helps Odi. 

They trot the two to right before the 6 furlong pole. Then, Odi nods to Cam, and they put the horses into an easy gallop. 

Cam and I simultaneously hit our stop watches.

“And they’re off.” He says in a deep voice. 

The two colts give it their everything.

"Easy, easy." I mummer. 

The stayed glued to each other the whole way until Mud Pie pulled away. 

Cam hits his stop watch, "1:15" he says with a chuckle. 

Seconds later I hit mine, "1:20" I shake my head.

"Well, Mud Pie is ready, but I'm not too sure about Fury."

"But they both still have AMAZING times."

"Races are different." Cam says, pats my shoulder, and walks to meet up with the boys on the horses.