38 | Before You Go | 38

This chapter commences the 'endgame' as such for Perception. It's the second to last chapter.
These last two chapters will take place consecutively, with 39 being the last chapter of Perception.
Remember it's a series, so this isn't really the end.
Enjoy. Love ya <3 ~ Owl

~~~

-Clay's POV-

"Dreamy..." George mumbles in a tired voice. He tugs at my sweater sleeve weakly, exhaustion still laying heavily over him. "Dreamy come lay with me...."

His cute tired voice makes my heart melt, and for a second I almost give in. "Not now, Georgie." I push him away, but he grabs hold of my arm, clinging to it. "But why not?" he whines, dragging out the last word. "I wanna sleep, I don't wanna worry about killing people."

"Me neither, but sleeping isn't the answer." George opens his tired eyes only to roll them at me. I laugh at the silly look on his face, only annoying him further.

"You never let me sleep in" I remind him. "Maybe someone just wants an excuse to cuddle." George scoffs, trying time hide his reddening cheeks. "Maybe they do."

"So you admit you're a simp?"

"A what-" George chokes, laughing at the word he's convinced I must've made up. "Nothing, just something Nick would say."

"You said that as your answer last time."

"Whatever." I watch as George recoils into a ball, hugging his knees to his chest. "We should've got blankets" I note, realising he's still shivering. My response is a tired nod.

Today is the day. Planning and training took up a lot of time yesterday, leaving us both wanting to sleep in. Neither of us have slept the greatest, too anxious about what we somehow have to pull off.

Should be easy, but you can never be sure. One medic, on their own. Two versus one, and I'm invisible. Someone inexperienced with combat against us two. I've been training for years, said to be the only one to rival Dave himself.

Yet I can't help but feel like someone else could. My thoughts keep straying back to what I saw yesterday, the hooded figures in that meeting. To what they did to Zak, the fear they're capable of inflicting on him despite how much power he has. Not many are capable of scaring the elite assassins.

Although they are using Darryl against him, and here, people would do anything for their soulmate. No matter how much it puts someone through, they'll do it to save their soulmate.

Zak is clearly posing as some sort of spy, gathering information on Dave. As well as everyone he talks to, and other members of the elite assassins. Including their soulmates and accomplices.

I don't know the full extent of what he's doing, but I'm sure I'd do the same for George as he does Darryl. All I know is that if I was in Zak's position and George was in Darryl's, I'd do the same thing.

For my boyfriend, who is currently trying to pretend he's asleep, yet I know he isn't. He's awful at pretending these things, so I don't know why he still bothers. "Sunshine?" I ask quietly, laughing when there's no answer. "I know you're awake, George."

"Why are you?" he asks, turning over and snuggling into my side. I wrap an arm over him comfortingly, noticing how uneven his breathing is.

"I'm worried" I respond, earning a confused glance from George. His tired eyes stare back at me, turquoise through my vision. I still remember the beautiful brown colour they truly are, and can't wait until I get to see them like that again.

If I get to see them like that again.

Or ever again.

"You're worried? Clay you can't die, you have nothing to worry about." He rolls his eyes sarcastically, as if I've forgotten I'm dead. "Not worried for me, for you. As you are alive, and something could happen to you."