Chapter Thirteen: The Schemer is at the academy

Th carriage ride to the academy was a spirit-draining one. Apart from  Augustus' constant nagging about how I should stay away from those with XY chromosomes, a certain narcissist also kept hinting about how I'd most probably end headless in six years' time. 

"Ah, the blade of my sword longs for blood. It has been so long, after all," Valentin was about to unsheathe his sword but was glared at by Augustus. The former just chuckled and said, "Boo, you are no fun."

Augustus frowned at him. "It's not right to unsheathe a blade in front of a lady. You'll frighten them."

"Solid advice from someone who had no lovers since birth," Valentin whistled. 

"You-" 

"Now, that's no good. Your precious Marcella is watching. You'll frighten her," Valentin grinned. He then raised his hands in surrender and gave him a look which said Your words

Clenching his fist, Augustus tried to ignore the silver-haired egoist and glanced at me. "You see now, Marcella? It is better to steer clear from guys. They are not worth your time."

I nodded in understanding. "Okay, brother," I paused and thought for a moment. "Should I steer clear from you too, then?"

"Wait, what? No!" Augustus firmly opposed. 

"But you are a guy too, aren't you?" I teased.

For a moment, Augustus was at a loss for words. 

I laughed at him. "I was just jesting. You don't have to get so serious."

I continued giggling but then I noticed that Augustus was still silent. "Hey, is there a problem?"

Then I heard him muttering. "Hm,sheshouldstayawayfromboysbutIamanexceptionbecauseIamherbrotherbutMyronisherbrothertoososhouldshenotstayawayfromhimthisissoconfusingbecauseMyronisanidiotandIdontwanthertobeinfectedwithhisidiocy-"

Oh God. What could he be thinking about? Gently, I shook his hand. "Augustus! Snap out of it!"

Blinking his eyes, he looked as if he was snapped out of his reverie. I sighed in relief. At least he stopped murmuring like a deranged psychopath. I already have one of those to look out for, I don't need more. 

"I'm sorry, Cella. I was just lost in thought," gingerly, he caressed my hair and kissed the top of my head. The sudden affection surprised me for a moment but I was somehow comforted by it. This was Augustus, after all. A total softie on the inside albeit his stoic exterior. 

"I really hate to break this lovely sibling moment but I just have to announce that we are here," Valentin pushed open the carriage curtains and my eyes were greeted by the glorious scenes of the capital. 

I broke free from my brother's hold and excitedly stared outside. "This place is as beautiful as it was before!"

"You speak as if you have not been here for decades," Valentin commented.

"Well, I haven't been for years. The last time I've been here was when I was eight," I answered him.

It was really a fact. Ever since that tea party four years ago, I have never set foot in the capital. Funnily, whenever Cedric, Jamie, Viveca or Damien would celebrate their birthdays, they would celebrate it near our family's territory. This is really surprising because for someone as important as noble as them, should they not choose to celebrate in the capital? Up to now, that is a mystery that I still have yet to answer. 

The carriage passed by a lush array of trees before reaching the entrance of the Capital Academy. 

As the coach halted, Augustus hurriedly went down and talked with the coachman about something.  "You two can go first. I still have something to do. I'll meet you later, Cella," Augustus bid me farewell and pat my head before leaving me in the carriage.