Chapter Twenty-nine: The schemer should have eaten the croissant

Nothing says cliché romance fantasy trope than getting the heroine kidnapped.

   Unfortunately, what those novels don’t teach you is how to stop yourself from being kidnapped too just because you were in the perimeter of the target.

      And yes, that’s an affirmative that I also got kidnapped. With the heroine.

      How did I get into this crappy transport carriage that reeks of wet horse and mop water and with floorboards so delicate, they creak every time the transportation bumps into a pebble, you ask?

      Let me take you to the start of the Spring Soiree.

---

      The morning of the event, the whole academy was in a total frenzy. Corsets were tightened, hairs were done, shoes were thrown across, and most of all – massive fashion breakdowns of a myriad of teenage girls.

      I was in the middle of breakfast in my room with Martinique when all of a sudden, Viveca barged inside my room unannounced. She scanned the area and looked appalled when she saw me eating my third croissant of the day.

      “The event is about to start in ten hours and yet here you are munching on some pastry!” She exasperatingly groaned and then turned to look at Martinique. “Why is she not dressed yet?”

      “Pardon, your highness, but you know how cranky she gets when she is hungry,” Martinique explained.

      “Listen to her, Viveca. I still have another croissant to finish.” Saying that, I moved on to my next pastry.

      Viveca stomped towards me and slapped the croissant out of my hand. “No more croissants!”

      “How about you, you’re not even-“

      I paused and stared at Viveca, only to notice that apparently, she was already in her gown. Her platinum blonde hair was in an elegant half up-do with tiny diamonds interwoven in each lock (how they placed that there, I have not the faintest clue). She was also wearing her dress for the occasion- a custom made ball gown made of silk with gold appliques all over it. It was very stunning and opulent- but not to the point that it was tacky. I could never imagine any other person wearing that gown except for Viveca whose class and beauty did not pale in comparison to the dress. In fact, it highlighted her charisma even more.

      “You were saying?” She glared at me and snapped her fingers. Without even having the time to blink, I was suddenly surrounded by an army of ladies-in-waiting who were all eager to primp me up. The moment I met Viveca’s mad look, I decided not to resist. Yes, I do get cranky when I am hungry but Viveca in a fashion frenzy is a whole different type of fury.

      After soaking me in different types of serums, fragrances and oils, it was a full ten hours later that I was finally free from the clutches of Viveca’s fashion army.

      “Oh my goodness, you are beautiful!” Viveca said in amazement.

      Martinique added. “Absolutely gorgeous, Lady Marcella! I am sure your mother would be very pleased to see you.”

      “Speaking of your mother, that is not the dress she sent you, right?” Viveca asked.

      I looked down at what I was wearing and yes, I wore the midnight blue gown given by Augustus rather than the poofy lavender one sent by mother. This gown was more breathable and I felt how convenient it is to move in it. Anyway, I am still the one wearing it, not mom.

      “Ah, Augustus gave this to me,” I answered.

      “Either way, you look fabulous!” Viveca smiled.