Chapter Four: The schemer is in trouble

I am now public enemy number one of Jamie Wellings and the second prince of the kingdom, Prince Cedric Aragon. But before judging me in the situation that I am currently in, it's best to know what happened a few moments ago.

You see, I was already eight and three years have passed since that almost-engaged-to-Jaime-fiasco. I have been living my life extraordinarily well, save for the constant cold war between my mother and my brothers' mothers. That was no surprise though as it had always been that way since long ago. 

Well anyway, today was scheduled to be my first visit to the royal palace and I was super excited to see my older brothers, Augustus and Myron, who left to study at the capital. That was another cliche though- all those part of the nobility were required to study at the capital by the time they turn twelve. Augustus was already fifteen and in his third year of studies already while Myron just turned twelve and had left for school earlier this year. That is why, I was the only child living in the mansion for the last couple of months and trust me, without the internet, any modern person would find this place so boring. 

"Lady Marcella, it's time for us to go now," Martinique, my ever so loyal attendant and friend, showed up in front of me with her soothing smile. Ah~ my only cure for boredom in this world. 

I stood up swiftly and I know that my face could hardly contain its excitement. "Finally!"

Martinique laughed at my demeanor and she followed me towards the carriage. We passed by my mother who was now waving at me and smiling in her devious manner as if she had something planned. She walked towards me and hugged me. To an outsider's point of view, it may look like a somewhat harmless motherly hug but the truth was, it was an act to whisper close to me. 

"Marcella, my sweet little cupcake," she cooed. "Make your mother proud and snatch the hearts of the princes and little future dukes in that place. Remember, the palace is a battlefield and all the maidens out there are your rivals."

I had no choice but to nod in agreement as she let go of me and gave me one last sweet smile before I hurried to take a seat on the carriage. Oh, the mindset of my mother is something that even I could not comprehend. I sighed and stared silently out the window as the carriage started moving towards its destination.

-

After what seemed to be like forever, we have finally arrived at the royal palace. To say it was beautiful would be an understatement, it was indescribable in words. It was more than breathtaking, more than gorgeous, more than awe-inspiring. The beauty and grandeur of the palace was incomparable to nothing and as I slowly stepped out of the coach, I felt the overwhelming splendor of the place. 

Since it was my first time in the capital, much less the palace, I was guided by Martinique who had already visited the place many times before on errands. I was relieved that she knew the way because if she was not here, I would utterly be confused and lost.

We stepped inside and the same magnificence from its facade mirrored the inside as the ceilings were too high and enormous chandeliers hung from above. I stared in awe. 

"Now, now, Lady Marcella, we must not forget the reason as to why we are here in the first place." 

I stopped looking around and turned to look at her. I nodded. Of course, we had a reason to come here. I was supposed to come here to visit my father who had some work to do here and to be present at a tea party held by the queen herself for all the potential maidens who could be her future daughter-in-law. The crown prince was also eight, about the same age as me, and he was the second son of the king and queen. You see, the first crown prince, was a very sickly person. If not for his death years ago, he would've already been fifteen years old. It was very unfortunate, really. They said that the former crown prince was actually very smart and had the abilities to rule the kingdom, if only not for his sickness and untimely death. The king had other children with his other concubines but since they were not the queen's children, the succession was out of the question. It took seven years before the queen and king had another son and this time around, he was so pampered and protected by the queen which resulted to him being a spoiled brat.