Chapter Twenty-six: Could the schemer be in another argument?

How long can someone hold a grudge? If you ask me, I would say that I could never let go of a grudge but I could forget it and treat it as if it didn't exist in the first place. Or maybe, I could forgive someone with a mere payment of two glazed donuts. That's it. I'm simple.

But apparently, not Cedric. The royal brat has been acting really distant from me for the past year.

And yes, PAST YEAR as in more than 12 months have already passed since we had that argument about the heroine and Percival. If that isn't petty, I don't know what is.

I mean, for someone who easily let it pass every time I pulled his hair or kicked his shins or even when I threw a shoe at him when we were young, you would expect that he'd just forget about the whole point of the argument the next day. However, he didn't. Not the next day, nor the day after that nor the weeks and months that followed.

So here I am now in my second year at the academy, unbothered by Cedric for another day.

So this must be what serenity felt like.

"Hey."

Someone spoke from behind me as I was enjoying my peaceful time right under the tree in the campus grounds. Without even checking who it was, I already knew that it was Percival.

"Hey," I responded and scooted over to let him sit beside me.

"Everyone else is still in class?" He asked and lay down on the field.

"It's been a year since we have this routine, surely you already know the answer to that question," I answered and turned to look at him while raising a brow.

He grinned and his sharp canine fangs showed. "I know. Just trying to start a conversation since you seemed so lonely."

"Thanks for the concern, but you don't really have to force yourself."

"Come on. As you've said, we've already been in this same spot at the same time for a year already, surely we could have something to talk about."

"Or maybe because of that that we have already run out of things to talk about."

He chortled. "Ah, fair point."

"Although," I mused. "I am curious. How's it going with her?"

He pursed his lips for a moment before answering. "Nothing much. But . . ."

My ears pricked at the prospect of picking up juicy new details about Percival's lovelife. In a world where modern technology is nonexistent, you've gotta make do with what you have to enjoy yourself. Don't judge me.

"But what?"

"She seemed somewhat jittery around me these days."

"Jittery?"

"You know, nervous, frazzled, jumpy-"

"I know what jittery means!" I groaned. "But why do you think she's acting like that?"

Percival sat up straight and faced me. "Hm, I don't know. You don't suppose-"

"Suppose that she may have already realized what she actually feels for you? Oh my goodness! I think you should ask her to this year's Spring Soiree! I am sure she'd love to accept your invitation!" I exclaimed and couldn't hide my excitement.

"You think so?" Percival's eyes glimmered. My excitement must have rubbed off on him because he looked really happy and his tail was wagging with enthusiasm.

"Ah finally! Our hard work for the past year is not put to waste!" I held his hands and delightedly cried out.

As we were basked in merriment at the thought of Percival's love affairs finally sorted out (well, almost), I suddenly shuddered as I felt a chill behind me.