Nanny

"So, what happened to your nanny?" Mackenzie Thirl asked curiously, peering up at Warlock curiously. She heard her parents talking about his nanny and the possibility of getting her one, so she figured that Warlock could be her source of knowledge.

Although, she wasn't overly worried about the whole 'nanny' thing. It was hard to find someone who didn't love her, everyone she knew simple adored her and thought she was a precious little doll. With the curly blonde ringlets, big dimples, bright blue eyes, and the frivolous dresses, she did resemble a doll. She knew that once the nanny saw her (and the amount of cash her parents had), they'd simply 'aww' and love her as if she were their own baby.

Warlock frowned at Mackenzie, although he attempted to hide his distaste behind a fake smile. His pale fingers brushed a strand of his brown hair away from his eyes, only for more hair to fall in his face. He was actually shocked that his mother allowed his hair to grow so long, although she had let him wear a pair of jeans and a stained shirt, so there was that- he didn't know that his mother had been out drinking and partying hard enough last night that she couldn't tell her right from her left, so his clothing was the last of her concerns (he was the last of her concerns in general anyways).

"Nanny was very strange, but I liked her. She was a classy, gothic woman with an eccentric taste in partners- I mean, I think she might have had a thing for the gardener. Before I went to sleep, she sing to me some of the-"

"Really?" squealed Mackenzie, clapping her gloved hands together. "That's nice. My maid has a terrible singing voice, and my butler can't sing because... he's a man."

Warlock rolled his eyes at Mackenzie's antics. He didn't find it worth mentioning that the reason her butler couldn't sing was because he was mute, not because he was a male. He didn't find that Mackenzie held much educational value, but their parents were friends- two party-hard diplomats wives that could have cared less about the children. And honestly, Warlock could have cared less about Mackenzie and her ridiculously stupid antics.

"I guess. I miss Nanny Ashtoreth," said Warlock longingly. Nanny Ashtoreth had been kind to him, despite her muttering to Brother Francis about him being the 'Antichrist' every few minutes. "And Brother Francis. They were nice. I miss them."

Mackenzie frowned at Warlock, looking very similar to her mother in that moment. "I'm sure your mother can just buy you a new nanny. Maybe she could actually buy your Nanny."

"Mackenzie, don't be stupid," said Warlock irritably, wanting to go watch the telly without interruption from Mackenzie. "If people could do that, they would probably wouldn't just be buying nannies for their eleven year old sons. That's not even right, second off. What if Nanny Ashtoreth couldn't stay because something happened?"

Deep down, Warlock always worried that he was the reason that Nanny Ashtoreth had left. He knew that if it wasn't for himself, she never would have gained employment for the Dowlings- maybe she would have, as a maid or cook. But Nanny Ashtoreth never mentioned a family or friends, not even a pet. And one day, she just up and left, giving a nice speech to his mother while he received a goodbye hug from her.

The previous day, Warlock had given her a hard time. He'd ran around, knocking things over on purpose, all while smiling as she ran to stop him- she encouraged his behavior, but not when his father was home. While she was cleaning up the mess he'd left in the kitchen, he trotted up to his father's office, deciding that he should see what was in the cardboard box his father left on the floor. When Nanny Ashtoreth found him again, he was gawking at pictures of ladies in a slew of sexual positions with little to no clothes on.

As if seeing a bunch of nearly nude ladies wasn't enough, he then chose it was a good time to go out to the garden and question Brother Francis about it. Warlock, like most ten year olds, was rather blunt with his questions. Do all girls look like that? Does my mother know about that? What about Nanny, does she look like that? Have you ever seen Nanny like that?