Chapter 83.

"Iris, we cannot make a report if we have no concrete evidence." Dad informs me. "We can't rely on words, the only thing to do is wait for Nikki to wake up."

"Then when she does, you can establish a case and I will help you prepare a list of witnesses." In addition, sighing, I say "And I will be one of those, so will James."

At that point, James looks at me confused while my mother doesn't seem to like the idea. "Doesn't Nikki have any other relative who can really provide us with extra information?"

I haven't thought about this. "I don't know. I just remember that Nikki had a housekeeper before Celina arrived, maybe she will certainly know something. Also because, from what I remember, the two of them seemed to get on really well. Who knows why she is no longer the housekeeper."

My father, looking at me puzzled and moving his eyebrows up, replies "Not to discourage you Iris. But you also have to think that if you do all this, and she won't recover, you will only put that weight on your shoulders."

I don't answer right away. There is a silence in the kitchen, the sound of emptiness is leading me to imagine that end already. It can't go this way, she must make it. "Nikki is a friend of mine, and even if it happens, I dare not say it, I know very well that she will recover, we will do what we have to do."

"And the first thing she will do when everything is normal, through your law firm, she will make the report by signing it in her name-" As I want to continue, dad interrupts me.

"As soon as she wakes up, it will take quite a while to return to normal." In addition, looking straight at me, he points out "You must also think of her as Nikki, if she has never decided to report them, then why is it up to us?"

My mother intervenes. "The problem is that the law does not provide that a third person can file a complaint on things that do not concern him/her, unless the victim is a minor, so reporting in your favor would not have a legal basis either."

Seeing that I don't comment, dad says "We will do what we have to do, that's for sure. But I am of the idea that, if Nikki does not return, you know that the process will not be done for a simple reason-"

Every word sounds all in slow motion, it is making me anxious. "Exactly because she will not be present and her testimony is fundamental, since it is she who has undergone the mistreatment who could provide evidence or places to go to find them."

"Don't worry, she will." I conclude by showing my disappointed face well. And with "Sorry," I leave the kitchen.

I find myself in front of my house, going back and forth. In a sense, they are right, but every single word is a negative sound, I have a feeling that by doing this, as my father said, I will hurt myself even more. But this is about Nikki. When I met her in middle school, she had a bad appearance, and with others she made fun of me. But despite this, I don't know whether to call it luck or not, I was still close to her. So I was her friend, and the fear of being alone and not wanting to be the old Iris led me to get to know better her. Being with her in high school, I saw her worst sides. She bullied others without emotion, and without remorse.

I don't know why I travel to the past. I would like to find some details that has to do with what I know now. At this point, I understand why she never came to school with short sleeves, so as not to show others her wounds, in particular that a strong person like her could have problems. She didn't want to reveal that also a tough person could be weak sometimes. Instead, she always pretended to be what she wasn't. Behind that bully hid a little girl, screaming for help. But nobody ever noticed it.

It is really sad to know that there are billions of people in the world, and yet no one notices the pain of others. Everyone has something to hide, it's a vice that we don't do it on purpose. We just want someone to notice it without words or deeds serving...attention and company is what we need...the rest comes with time. As I want to continue, someone's voice reminds me that I am in the present.