Chapter 09

It was Wednesday morning, the day of Saptami.

Dhruv was having breakfast along with me at my place, while we watched a movie. As we chewed down the hot chapatti we heard my name being called from outside the house. It took me an instant to realize that it was Kavya. I got up from the table and asked Dhruv to follow me. Going outside I found her standing at the bottom of the stairs. Accompanying her was a beautiful girl, about seven to eight years elder than all of us. Her resemblance to Kavya's mother was quite striking. I didn't need an introduction to know who she was.

Although Riddhi di had been visiting for the past two years, there wasn't any official introduction as such. We knew each other, but our acquaintance extended up to the facial recognition only. That was probably the first time we were meeting for real. And as for Dhruv, It was his very first time.

"Where have you been?" Kavya asked. "I've been calling you for over fifteen minutes or so."

"We've been feeding our stomachs," Dhruv answered.

"And you called me just a minute ago," I added.

"Whatever," she said, blowing out air from the corner of her mouth. She did that often. Girls could sometimes be so naïve.

I called them in. Once we had rested our butts on the spongy softness of the couch, Kavya began. "Anyways, this is my sister. Remember I told you about her." Then turning to Riddhi di she added, "And di, these are those two, I told you about. You know-Jonty Monty." And then both the sisters started to giggle. Both of our cheeks and ears had turned red by then. Could we be pardoned with the humiliation.

"Hi Dhruv. Hi Siddhart," Riddhi di said. Her laughter had by then converted into a broad welcoming and heart warming smile. She seemed to recognize both of us almost instantly. Kavya had indeed done a very brilliant job with her beautiful description.

"Who is it Sidhhart ?" inquired my mother emerging from the kitchen to meet the guests.

"Namaste aunty," both the girls said out together greeting her.

"Kavya! It's so good to see you. You don't come nowadays. How are you? And how is your mother?" inquired my mom.

"I am fine aunty, and so is she," Kavya replied.

My mother's gaze then shifted towards Riddhi di. "You must be Riddhi. You look just like your mother. More if not equally beautiful."

"Thanks aunty," Riddhi di said, blushing.

Then began my mother's interrogation. What are you doing ? How is life in Kolkata ? How are studies going? And finally the great advice- "Teach Siddhart something. This boy doesn't like to study at all. Has his mind in all other places than books." Finally she left speaking to herself ,"God help this kid. I don't know what'll happen to him."

I turned to confront their smiling faces. "Forget it," I said to them.

"Yaa," came their unionist reply.

"Listen you two, it's Saptami today (as if we didn't know), we're going out as planned. My house at Seven, sharp. Both of you," announced Kavya.

"Yes your majesty," said Dhruv, faking a bow.

"How much money should we carry?" I inquired.

"None."

"But-," I was cut short by Kavya, who by then had got up to leave. "No money. Just be at my house by Seven." And then she walked out of the room.

"What do you make out of all this ?" asked Dhruv, with a confused look on his face. Couldn't blame him for that. Even I was confused. We had originally planned to take some money with us and have get ourselves some food and fun. It wasn't everyday that we were allowed to spend on our own. She can't ruin it all.

"I don't know mate," I replied. "Evening will clear everything out."

"I should go now. I will meet you at Kavya's directly. Be there by Seven. Don't you dare make me wait. And bring some money. Even I will. You know, just in case," said Dhruv and then he too left.

I was left alone at my house, to ponder about the evening and the probably ruined plan.