Chapter 06

As we left dida's house that day, I felt happy. At myself. And with my newly found friend. We promised to meet everyday at noon, after returning from school. As Kavya wasn't admitted to any, she would rather just wait for us.

We did keep our promise. We met almost every day. All three of us. Sometimes at my place, sometimes at Dhruv's but mostly at Kavya's. She gradually became more close to us, and soon we were transformed from the 'dynamic duo' to the 'crazy three'.

Sometimes we used to roam aimlessly through the streets, cracking silly jokes and laughing all by ourselves. It felt good. It felt divine. It was as if we had been waiting for Kavya all along. She had somehow completed our group. Like the fullstop after a sentence.

Eventually even she got into one of the schools and all was as well as it could have possibly been.

Time flew by, from right under our noses. The year ended with the usual hustle and bustle of the final exams. Old books were dumped in store rooms. Tensed faces melted into smiling ones. There was refreshment and enjoyment in the air. Exams were over. A month long holiday awaited us. The only intrusion in our fun time would be the announcement of our results. Strangely our parents dreaded that day more than us. It was as if they were the one giving the exams . But whatever it was, no one could take this time from us. We had it. We deserved it. And hell yeah, we earned it.

The memories of that time are a blur though. I remember hanging out with Kavya and Dhruv, until the time he left us and went away to his granny's house in Naxalbari. This had turned out to be a sort of ritual for him. Though it wasn't his fault completely, or more of his parents who dragged him along on their vacation during his holidays. Still since he was the face of it, had to face our wrath once he returned. That being right after the results and before the onset of our new sessions.

Then came the Results. The rightful doomsday for all students. It arrived sooner that we had anticipated or even wished. My grades were comparably better than last time. While Dhruv's were even better. I had to endure more than a few taunts from my mother for that. "Why can't I be as good as him ?". "I should idolize him". A few among many.

It were moments like these that made me hate my best friend. But the hate subsides as soon as it evokes. I feel guilty of having even procured such thoughts. Jealousy's a bitch. But friendship is meant to be immune of it. That's the strength of the bond. Our parents can judge our friends based on their scores but we can't. We just go with it as our heart desires. And as for marks, there was Kavya who could always be used as our ultimate defence against our parents. She had just managed to pass. It had been a close call. Though no one blamed her. She has her 'newbie situation', keeping her in the safe zone. Wow, that girl was lucky.

Our classes began a couple of weeks later. As uninteresting as ever. The only thing that differed it from the previous year, was a whole new workload of syllabus for us to mug up and pretend to understand. Subjects became boring. Classes were monotonous. I had finally soaked up the 'Shepherdian' atmosphere. I had become one of them. No one differentiated me as an outsider anymore. I was finally in.

The only new thing that happened, was the admission of this new girl. I remember seeing her confused face as I entered the class one fine but boring morning. At once she had my attention and sympathy. I had been in the shoes she had on then, and trust me, it's a tight fit. Her big spectacled eyes tracked every new entry into the the class, as if registering it. She reminded me so much of myself in the past year. It was as if I was looking at myself. Just that I didn't wear skirts. And neither had the loosely tied ponytail hanging from the back of my head.

Later as the class began, the teacher performed the ' welcome ceremony' for the newbie. Scaring the shit out of her. A horde-full of rules and regulations at the very first day of school could scare the shit out of anybody. I had that experience. I knew it was hard. It was evident from her face. But then the teacher called out her name for the first time. "Madhushree Deb". After officially welcoming Madhu to the class, she was asked to take her seat. Out at the first bench which was conveniently empty. Girls always chose the first benches. A means to impress the teacher by showing their concern about attentiveness. Boys on the other hand, I guess, they simply don't care.

That afternoon during the lunch break I approached Madhu. Just trying to be a bit friendly. I was a little afraid too. There was this little taboo about girls and boys talking and which ended up starting crass silly rumors. Junior School Love Birds. Too sweet to be true. My nervousness disappeared as soon as I met her, realising that she was more afraid than me.

Sitting all alone and having her lunch. She was a bit startled at first as I announced myself. Then relaxed as she recognized me from her class. I talked to her. Telling her that even I was a newbie just the previous year, putting me somewhere close to her league. I told her that the initial fright of the newness would eventually pass away and she would ultimately like the way things went about around there. The place wasn't as strict as we were meant to believe. This brought a little smile to her face. She did look lovely smiling.

Rule breaking wasn't an option for us. It was a habit. A feeling of irrationalism brings forth the hidden cauldron of freedom. Or so we thought. I told her that she should make some friends and that it would be easy henceforth. She nodded in agreement. We talked a bit more as she asked about me, as to where I stay and what did I think of the school and many more. We did have some honest chat for a while, meanwhile emptying our lunch boxes. It felt good to talk to her. I felt lighthearted for having helped someone. It was as if I was helping myself. Through her. Finally I got up to leave. She didn't protest. I wasn't expecting her to.

As I walked away she waved at me and smiled. I smiled and waved back. I walked back to the field. Dhruv was there with the rest of the gang. I spend the rest of the lunch break with them.

"Where were you ?" asked Dhruv, as we sat in our class, half an hour later.

"Somewhere", I answered. Very witty of me.

I looked at the first bench. Madhu was taking town some previously taught notes. Dhruv Followed my gaze. "You were with her, weren't you ?" he asked.

I just replied with a sly smile.